Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 03:33 PM

Optometrist

Went to have my eyes tested today, my left eye is much weaker than the right one, so I need a stronger strength lens, I also have slight yellowing in the left eye, which is a sign of the start of cataracts,

Other than that no glaucoma, or macular degeneration that was the one that scares me, chose and ordered a nice pair of glasses, so well chuffed, 10 working days then they should be ready.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

09-07-2021, 09:09 AM

Re: Optometrist

Glad everything went well apart from the cataract Pauline but they’re easily fixed with surgery when the time comes.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Glad everything went well apart from the cataract Pauline but they’re easily fixed with surgery when the time comes.
When the time comes ????
After an eye examination today I was told I had a cataract and the sooner attended to the better.... not when the time comes because they only get worse .
Was offered a place where they're done within a few months but is this the time to be going into it for a non urgent op ?
Just watched a youtube video step by step procedure..... it didn't encourage me one bit . Feeling a bit upset.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Went to have my eyes tested today, my left eye is much weaker than the right one, so I need a stronger strength lens, I also have slight yellowing in the left eye, which is a sign of the start of cataracts,

Other than that no glaucoma, or macular degeneration that was the one that scares me, chose and ordered a nice pair of glasses, so well chuffed, 10 working days then they should be ready.
I'm glad it went well for you....
FWIW I got cataracts about three years ago. Both eves. I was gradually losing my sight. You don't realise it at first but my dear wife began to noticed it. The difference is truly amazing. I first needed glasses when I was about 16, same with my two children. Now my eyesight is better than all of them.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
When the time comes ????
After an eye examination today I was told I had a cataract and the sooner attended to the better.... not when the time comes because they only get worse .
Was offered a place where they're done within a few months but is this the time to be going into it for a non urgent op ?
Just watched a youtube video step by step procedure..... it didn't encourage me one bit . Feeling a bit upset.
Ullabi, was quite correct in what she replied to me, I don’t have a cataract, I have yellowing, the optometrist told me not to be concerned, so I’m not, thank you for your well wishes ,Ullabi.

You have a cataract I don’t......” I have yellowing” in the left eye.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 10:27 AM

When the time comes ????
Zuleika, I had a new lens put in my right eye ,because of a cataract about 3 years ago, don't be frightened if you have to have it done, you will not feel anything, it takes about 20 minutes , and the eye has drops put in a few times to numb it before and during the op, and you notice the difference right away,
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 11:17 AM

When the time comes ????

Zuleiker, try not to worry yet.

From what I understand most cataracts take months or even years to cause a problem. I remember reading it is rare for them to grow quickly.

How often do you have your eyes checked? Why wasn't it spotted at your last check up?

My optician told me about 18 months ago I had a small cataract in one eye, but NOT to worry about it yet as they will not operate until it gets to a certain size.
18 months later it is still small.

If you are worried, no harm in getting a second opinion elsewhere.

This is interesting, if you wanted to have a read:

https://www.sweye.com/blog/cataracts...gression-rate/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 12:50 AM

It's curious how cataracts form on some and not others. I wonder if there is any way to prevent them or is it just genetic natural ageing for some?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Zuleiker, try not to worry yet.

From what I understand most cataracts take months or even years to cause a problem. I remember reading it is rare for them to grow quickly.

How often do you have your eyes checked? Why wasn't it spotted at your last check up?

My optician told me about 18 months ago I had a small cataract in one eye, but NOT to worry about it yet as they will not operate until it gets to a certain size.
18 months later it is still small.

If you are worried, no harm in getting a second opinion elsewhere.

This is interesting, if you wanted to have a read:

https://www.sweye.com/blog/cataracts...gression-rate/
Thankyou for this Mups . I did say to the examiner that I understood operations were not undertaken until the cataracts had got to a certain stage but he shook his head as in “ not true” .
I booked for a second opinion the day after which is this week .
The article is very good ,thanks again .
I first noticed a problem when my usual supermarket changed their lighting and in that eye I feel as if I have something in which moves about. (that’s not mentioned as a symptom ?)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 02:14 PM

Thankyou for this Mups . I did say to the examiner that I understood operations were not undertaken until the cataracts had got to a certain stage but he shook his head as in “ not true” .
I booked for a second opinion the day after which is this week .
The article is very good ,thanks again .
I first noticed a problem when my usual supermarket changed their lighting and in that eye I feel as if I have something in which moves about. (that’s not mentioned as a symptom ?)

Hi again Zuleiker, sorry, my fault, but apparently the info about cataracts needing to be 'ripe' before surgery can take place, has been surpassed now. See here:

" A cataract does not have to become “ripe” before it can be removed. In the past, the lens could not be extracted safely from the eye unless it was at a relatively advanced stage of development. With modern advances in cataract surgery, the lens can now be removed from the eye at any stage of development."

The thing that 'moves about' is not just a little 'floater' is it?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/floate...s-in-the-eyes/

Good luck with the second examination this week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top