Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:19 AM

Re: Burgers : Chicken or Beef ?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The worse thing that ever happened in Australia was Maccas. I never thought they would catch on.

Every deli and milk bar in Australia made a much better burger using their own patties, onions , lettuce, bacon, eggs, beetroot (I didn't like that), pineapple, toasted bun etc. After the pathetic things in the UK at Wimpy Bars - literally a thin meat pattie in a thin bun - they were a revelation.

These days Maccas occasionally has a special "Aussie Burger" to relive the good old days before they came along and spoiled it.

Now clubs and some restaurants have revived those great burgers (at a price)

In the UK those hamburger chains were a leap forward, in Australia a step backwards.
In SA we have really ‘posh’ burgers at Roccomamas!
Actually, there’s lots of great burger takeaways e.g. Burger King
I can’t stand MacDonalds though- tastes like cardboard…
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Not sure this is true but legend has it that the name hamburger was named for a restaurant cook, in NYC, who came from Hamburg, Germany.
That’s so interesting Bakerman and you should know since you’re a Chef by profession
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

16-07-2021, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Danny ->
I am very picky about hamburgers. After all here you get one at pretty much any eating establishment here.
Cheese
Lettuce
Tomato
Onions
Mayo
Bacon
Sometimes Jalapenos
prefer them on buns made from potato bread.
Sounds yummy Danny. I’ve never tried potato bread though.
On my bucket list is a visit to Grays Papaya in NYC on NYE.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:50 AM

I am very picky about hamburgers. After all here you get one at pretty much any eating establishment here.
Cheese
Lettuce
Tomato
Onions
Mayo
Bacon
Sometimes Jalapenos
That sounds like ours except for the mayo (here it would be Tomato or BBQ Sauce) and we get the choice of egg, beetroot and pineapple too. I have no idea what potato bread is.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
My recipe would be either turkey or lamb mince, with chopped fresh parsley, a tablespoon of tomato puree, chopped onion, couple of teaspoons of mustard, salt and pepper, a couple of teaspoons of paprika (sweet or smoked depending on your taste), bound with an egg and a piece of bread. I also like adding garlic but not everyone likes it. You can also chop up a chili if you're brave.

Wilkin & Son Tiptree ketchup is nice on top and some caramalised onions - these ones are officially for hot dogs but work just as well on a burger.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...ot-dog-onions/
That sounds good AnnieS..Will try that one..Mine is similar but a tad too plain compared to yours...and the egg for binding is essential...
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 06:23 PM

My favorite is a burger with crisp bacon, lettuce, tomato, finely chopped onion bits, between 2 slices of sourdough bread.
In my opinion, nothing beats a burger that has been cooked over an open flame.
Rockchick
Lancs UK
Rockchick is female 

16-07-2021, 07:10 PM

I don’t use any of the big chain burger places. I use Tesco SF or Spicy coated chicken breast fillets to make my own tower burgers. A lot more healthy and tasty. It’s not offen I have beef burgers even though I like them.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 07:49 PM

Cheese
Lettuce
Tomato
Onions
Mayo
Bacon
Sometimes Jalapenos

I'll have what he's having.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 07:52 PM

We eat Costco’s 100% beef burgers. Sometimes we make fresh homemade chicken burgers but not often. My husband most often cooks the meat and I don’t eat a lot of it.

Made on a toasted bun with:

Mayo
Mustard
Ketchup
Pickles
Onion slice
Tomato
Cheese ( sometimes )
Hot peppers
Zuchinni relish
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

16-07-2021, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
We eat Costco’s 100% beef burgers. Sometimes we make fresh homemade chicken burgers but not often. My husband most often cooks the meat and I don’t eat a lot of it.

Made on a toasted bun with:

Mayo
Mustard
Ketchup
Pickles
Onion slice
Tomato
Cheese ( sometimes )
Hot peppers
Zuchinni relish
Sounds yummy

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top