Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 09:41 PM

Re: Your childhood comic addiction

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Bunty and Judy from when I was around 8, then later it was Jackie and Marilyn in my early teens.

I had the very first issue of Bunty. I wish I'd had the sense to keep it!!
You could have retired to a private island if you had!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The Beano when I were a nipper, then graduated to The Victor and Hotspur, oriented towards boys. Big sis used to get the Judy and Bunty, before graduating to Jackie as she got to her teens. I used to read her comics too as I was, and still am, an inveterate reader.

There used to be a story called the Four Marys in one of her comics (don't know which one) and a story about a whole school being covered by a huge Martian dome with two Martian protagonists, Phobos and Deimos, preventing their escape. I never found out the reason for the dome, so if anyone can enlighten me?

Then, of course, I began my long-term love affair with Superhero comics, which I've still got a collection of. May have to find out if they're worth anything before I snuff it - some of them are in excess of fifty-years old.
You could be sitting on a gold mine
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

17-07-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When we very young the brother and I had 'Radio Fun and Film Fun' - then gravitated to 'Eagle and Girl'. Stopped reading any of them around age 6yrs - didn't see the point - preferred books.
Apparently Anime is all the rage nowadays
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

17-07-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Dandy and the Beano for me too. There was a cartoon of a girl in one of my annuals that I fell in love with. Sadly I can't remember her name any more but I used to see her every night and blow her a kiss.

A bit later I was into Whizzer & Chips and 'Mad'
Special memories LD
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

17-07-2021, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Roj Blake ->
The Beano,The Dandy, 2000AD
The Beano seems to be very popular
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 09:45 PM

The Beano...I was a member of the Beano club and had the badges which I kept for years! Then it was Jackie for a while. I came across some old Victor comics in a second hand bookshop recently....I didn't buy them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chillie6 ->
Mine was Dandy and the Beano plus the Eagle

As I got older moved on to DC comics, Superman Batman and the like

We got Beano and dandy as they were passed onto us by my cousin .

I loved reading Bunty and Judy at my friends house ,
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Nice Tiffany great memories!
I used to get a Rupert annual every year too.
Later, much later I joined the Thelwell club & I still have those mags, though the club stopped a while ago now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:51 PM

Later in my teens I switched to 'Custom Car' and used to drool over the modified vehicles .......I shall leave it there.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I used to get a Rupert annual every year too.
Later, much later I joined the Thelwell club & I still have those mags, though the club stopped a while ago now.

I forgot about Rupert.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top