Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Legal Tender

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ent-money-snow

"Legal tender has a strict definition.

"It means if you have a court awarded debt against you, if someone tries to settle and they're paying in legal tender you cannot refuse it.

"And that's all it means."
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 11:06 AM

Re: Legal Tender

And your point is?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 12:47 PM

I did not know this, not given it any thought. Just Sunday
morning minutiae in the newspaper.

Supermarkets & shops have every right to insist on card only payment.

The UK continues to march towards a cashless society, with ATMs disappearing and thanks to coronavirus, stores increasingly preferring card payments over potentially dirty cash.

But Martin is not a fan of this trend, and he went on to explain why.

He said: "I know many people are saying 'why don't we just switch to a cashless society?' - I don't want that, because there are many vulnerable people who need cash."

And it seems the government agrees with Martin, as he explained: "The Government has said that once we leave the EU in January it will change the rules so if you want to get cash out from a supermarket you don't have to buy anything.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 04:48 PM

And it seems the government agrees with Martin, as he explained: "The Government has said that once we leave the EU in January it will change the rules so if you want to get cash out from a supermarket you don't have to buy anything.

I don't see the point of this because you don't have to buy anything at our local Tesco, you just use the free-to-use cash machines in the car park.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

18-10-2020, 06:05 PM

Cashback but that has limits.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
I did not know this, not given it any thought. Just Sunday
morning minutiae in the newspaper.

Supermarkets & shops have every right to insist on card only payment.
Paying for goods in some cafes/stores in Oxford not only insist on card only but insist on contactless. More than once in a coffee shop, I have put cash to the correct amount on their counter, saying take this as I do not have a card. All I have got a bewildered look.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

19-10-2020, 12:14 PM

https://news.sky.com/story/free-to-u...-fees-11708201

Which? said that while digital payments are on the rise in the UK, 2.2 million people are still almost entirely reliant on cash in their daily lives.

It warned that the UK risks drifting into a "no-cash" society which could shut people out of paying for local goods and services.

It is urging the government to appoint a regulator to ensure no-one is denied the ability to access cash.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

19-10-2020, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by David P ->
Paying for goods in some cafes/stores in Oxford not only insist on card only but insist on contactless. More than once in a coffee shop, I have put cash to the correct amount on their counter, saying take this as I do not have a card. All I have got a bewildered look.
Did they serve you?
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Did they serve you?
In a way I suppose. I just walked out with the goods. It had already gone through the till ....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by David P ->
In a way I suppose. I just walked out with the goods. It had already gone through the till ....
Good for you David !!
Take it or leave it ??
My local pub is just the opposite, the contactless gadget is always
broken???

Donkeyman! 👍😁😁👍

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top