Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 11:39 AM

name of paint?

I'm redoing my Bathroom and I'd like to paint the ceiling in that white paint that looks as if it's got tiny stone chips in it when it's dry, can anyone tell me the name of it? my friend has it on her ceiling but has forgotten what it's called.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Re: name of paint?

No One? Well it doesn't matter, I found out.........it's called Artex Paint.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Textured emulsion??
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2012, 03:50 PM

I was going to suggest Textured paint too...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 01:46 AM

Raven, Artex is not paint, it's a plaster and I strongly advise you not to use it.

If at some time you decide that it's dated and you want something new, it will be the devil's own job to get Artex off as removing it will take chunks out of your ceiling.

Go for the textured paint instead, but definitely not Artex.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 02:59 AM

why not try a moulded paper if you get fed up with the pattern take it off a get a different pattern
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 10:25 AM

It's a fact that Artex is a b****r to remove Raven, and doesn't sound at all like you were describing in the first place...
White Raven

24-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Thanks for all your advice, but it seems Artex is not what I was meaning after all. I'm going into Aberdeen at the W/E to the big B&Q and I'll ask about Textured Paint. I can't do Paper as I'm hopeless at it and the the thought of wobbling about on a step ladder trying to paper a ceiling makes my blood run cold lol. I was planning to use a long handled roller while my feet are planted firmly on the floor.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 11:04 AM

Hi Raven I think 'textured paint' is mainly used for the outside of houses rather than ceilings. I thought texture was normally added to ceilings with a plaster type product then painted over .

What kind of surface is on the ceiling at the moment, that is an important consideration . Can't you just paint it with bathroom/kitchen wall paint which is tougher than emulsion
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2012, 11:20 AM

....I use this in bathrooms and kitchens
http://www.crownpaint.co.uk/help-and...hroom-matt.htm

Other manufacturers make an equivalent paint, it is much tougher than normal emulsion and better where the atmosphere is steamy or wet. I always use matt which masks any surface imperfections and I apply it with a 'sheep wool' type roller which gives a rough textured finish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top