Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 01:29 PM

Been stirring it!

Have spoken to our local councilor about this little problem - but did not trust his response - so have sent off the following email with photos:-

Dear Sirs,

Sometime ago (street name and postcode) had work done on the footpaths to lay cables for Broadband. Subsequently the tarmac (or whatever it is) over the cable line has lifted in several places. During the current hot weather one place in particular, outside number 15, has become a potential hazard - having lifted high enough for someone to catch their foot in it and fall either into the road or against a garden wall. See attached photos. I would ask that you give this urgent attention before someone is seriously hurt.

Thank you,
(name included)

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 02:17 PM

Re: Been stirring it!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have spoken to our local councilor about this little problem - but did not trust his response - so have sent off the following email with photos:-

A good first step.

Now find a mate to lay down in the road, call 999, and have him claim for residual pain where he/she twisted their back something very difficult to disprove!

Should be worth £25.000 at least. Am I joking? Not for an instant, especially as you can demonstrate that the council had been made aware of the hazard. Would I do so? Too bloomin' right.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 02:26 PM

That should work Silver Tabby, anything where the council might have to pay out compensation as a result of what they are responsible for usually, in my experience gets results.

A defect in the tarmac surface of the pathway outside my house, similar to the one you describe caused me to trip, fortunately without any injury. The defect was possibly where gas came to the village and an obvious channel dug in the pathway, then tarmac used to restore the surface.

Over time, possibly with the odd vehicle being driven along the pathway too, the area of the channel and tarmac repair had cracked leaving quite a gap for the unwary. I reported this to the council and within a week or so workmen arrived to repair it. Traffic lights were installed as the road is very narrow, a small tracked digger dug the complete pathway up the length of the width of my house with new tarmac laid all along there.

All that just for what was mostly a cracked surface was not what I expected but was noted by neighbours, many of whom much to their amusement, mentioned about how I must have 'friends' in the council to have had all that done. As it happens I do not know anyone in the council but just made a justified complaint the same as any of them could have done.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 06:04 PM

I'm glad to hear you have informed them of 'IT'

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

haha! I was just going to say I am sure I can see some eyes in there!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
A good first step.

Now find a mate to lay down in the road, call 999, and have him claim for residual pain where he/she twisted their back something very difficult to disprove!

Should be worth £25.000 at least. Am I joking? Not for an instant, especially as you can demonstrate that the council had been made aware of the hazard. Would I do so? Too bloomin' right.
It's not so easy to get such a claim processed these days. The rules have changed in the last few years and only the big cases are now likely to be taken on by a law firm.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not so easy to get such a claim processed these days. The rules have changed in the last few years and only the big cases are now likely to be taken on by a law firm.
Fall over, can't get up, call 999, soft tissue injury, and the world is your bivalve mollusk. Get a half decent lawyer and you're home and dry.

Don't go down the no fee route, that's the WORST route to take.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 10:42 PM

Tabs I agree, that is really sloppy workmanship and needs seeing to quickly.
No one will even see those holes and ridges in the dark.

If the council don't fix it quickly, I can easily see them forking out compensation when somebody gets hurt.
You imagine a person with a guide dog for a start.
Or people with mobility scooters getting their tyres ripped, or tipped off their scooters.
Even Mum's with push chairs/buggies would need to be careful.
Very dangerous I think.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

that made me LOL
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 09:32 AM

Have had a standard 'Your email is valuable but we are busy - expect a reply in 4 to 5 days' reply!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top