Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 01:39 AM

Re: Cat

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
He disappears in the house somewhere. We've never been able to discover his hiding place. we have spent 2 hours looking for him once to turn around and see him sat in the middle of a room just watching us. He's a bit creepy like that sometimes lol
I hope you called him Houdini!

He's keeping you on your toes. Talk about attention-seeking! I bet he's watching you, looking for him, with a big smirk on his face!
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 01:42 AM

He never makes a sound. You can be sat there on the settee, then look to your right and he's sat on his haunches with his nose 2 inches from your face just staring at you. And you know 30 seconds ago he was in the kitchen because you heard him eating from his metal bowl that he pushes around to get the last bit from.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 01:46 AM

That's very odd behaviour. How long have you had him for, and what's his name. The questions are relevant.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 08:40 AM

10 years and trouble.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 10:14 AM

I can't believe that you would even think about taking a cat away from a place that it is so obviously familiar with, without knowing if the cat has a home or not
You say it looks like it is well looked after, then it probably is.
I could understand it a little more if the cat looked neglected and undernourished.
You also say the cat's tail has been docked, surely that suggests that a person had some involvement in that and maybe had it done for the cats welfare, again suggesting it's a cat that's loved and cared for.

Quite frankly I'm appalled that some one who has had so many cats of their own would even consider such an action.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK

27-04-2012, 10:33 AM

As a cat owner of many years, I would do the same. A cat regularly frequenting a pharmacy for shelter/companionship? No one knows where it lives? Sounds like a stray to me. Cats can look after themselves in the wild and look well fed. Where I live there are loads of cats with no homes that look well cared for. I know of 6 that live on a trailer park. several people leave food for them but they have no owner.
The fact that the chemist suggested taking it home, suggests to me that they too consider it a homeless stray, and I would think they would have more idea than anyone. I see nothing wrong in giving the cat a home and leaving contact details just in case anyone comes looking.
It's well known that cats sometimes move address of their own accord if they find better lodgings elsewhere. I would suggest that any cat that does this is obviously not happy where it lived originally. And for a cat to go looking suggests some form of neglect to me.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 11:59 AM

I too have had cats over the years. They are a law unto themselves and for the most part do exactly what they want and when they want.

It seems strange to me that any cat will spend all of it's days sitting in a shop doorway, when it's in their nature to prowl and hunt.
I don't think it will be doing this cat a favour by taking it away from familiar territory and probably it's home and owner.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK

27-04-2012, 12:04 PM

Well that's the point really. It's not hunting, it's not prowling, it seeks a place in a shop to settle down and sleep rather than in it's home. This does seem strange and more than ever makes me think it's a stray.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 12:27 PM

The cat certainly doesn't sound like a stray to me .... many cats have a very friendly nature to other people besides their owner. I wouldn't dream of just taking the cat home either, it may be somebody's well loved pet. If it is a tom, they often stray beyond their bounds during the day and will return home at night. Regarding it not having a tail, it could most likely have had it amputated after an accident or health problem.

You didn't mention that the cat looks thin, dull, ragged knotted fur which makes me think it has an owner already. If you had it checked over by a vet you may find it is even microchipped. Also, before any thoughts of taking the cat, I would advise doing all you possibly can to find out if someone has lost their pet .... by means of contacting local vets or putting a notice in shop windows.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2012, 02:08 PM

I think the kitty just has her routine down and it includes hanging out at the drug store. What about.... attaching a collar and note asking if kitty heads home to an owner in the evenings just to see what happens. Your heart is in the right place, but this kitty maybe the love of another too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top