Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Re: Meditation / Yoga

I seem to be talking to myself on this thread .... oh well I do that here all day anyway. I am beginning feeling the benefit of yoga in my mind and body, not all the time but every now and then it helps me out. I'm a worrier (mainly about the family) and now I can gently push those thoughts away for a short while, it also reminds me to correct my posture, breathing etc. as if it's part of me now and a 'gift I've been given'. One that I hope to keep forever.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Good to hear the yoga is going well for you Mary, you seem to have come a long way since you posted on here that you were full of nerves at the thought of going to your first lesson!

Maybe you can give us a few tips on correct posture and relaxing! How on earth does one empty one's mind? Mine never seems to switch off!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 08:13 PM

Yes, I remember you giving me encouragement back then. I was so scared of going and having to meet new people. Thanks Mags, you helped me along the way. I don't empty my mind, just gently push unwanted thoughts away 'for now' if that makes any sense. I give myself permission to have this five minutes, it takes a bit of practice because I am so used to being at the beck and call of other people. It is amazing the difference one hour a week can make since September.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2011, 06:30 PM

I've been practicing meditation for a good few years and this emptying your mind thing is a myth. If you were able to empty your mind you would have no conscious recollection that you had done it as your mind would be, well....empty. How would you know if you'd achieved it !?

It's a complex subject but simplisticaly there's two general "styles" of meditation, both are about attention. One is about focusing your attention on one subject, for example a symbol or some object, maybe a buddha, a candle, or it could be anything really. The other style is quite the opposite, i.e don't focus attention on anything in particular, as thoughts appear just let them dissolve away without and don't try to stop them. Both styles have different benefits.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 03:02 PM

mrmojorisin, emptying the mind is really emptying it of all negative thoughts and thinking only of things that made you happy and content.

Meditation and Yoga are good for you if you keep it up.

Question, how does a mindless person empty thier mind.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2011, 05:08 PM

You don't need to meditate to do that !
maryl
UK

09-03-2011, 07:49 PM

We are taught to sit comfortably on the floor, either cross legged or feet under bums with back straight, shoulders down, hands with palms up, eyes lowered or closed. To say 'thank you and goodbye' to any thoughts that come, negative or positive (and of course mine all come rushing in at this point!). It's true, after a few minutes you get a peaceful sense of wellbeing. Mine only lasts for about 30 seconds but those that have practiced yoga meditation for years can sit like that for hours, lucky things.
Bob Byrne
New Member!
Adelaide. South Australia
Bob Byrne is male 

14-03-2011, 06:14 AM

Hi I'm a new member here and just stumbled on this discussion. I meditate for about 30 minutes every day with the help of my iPod.
just stick the earphones in, lay back and listen. It's great!
maryl
UK

03-05-2011, 01:36 PM

I hadn't been to my weekly yoga session for three weeks because of the easter hols and my goodness was I stiff and aching, especially my back, when I went in this morning. I've been literally hobbling around at home. After an hour of stretches and bending I feel a great improvement already. I had become complacent, in that because I'd been looking after five grandchildren most of the time during the school holidays and been out and about with them, that would be exercise enough. Seems I must practice yoga more at home, just 10 minutes a day should keep me supple and painless. That's taught me a lesson!
marilyno07
Gloucestershire
marilyno07 is female  marilyno07 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2011, 09:36 AM

I do think meditation is good for you - you only need to sit for 5-10 mins a day - it also lowers your blood pressure.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top