Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 04:59 PM

The Flipping Sun

I didn't know that the Sun flipped - did you? Scientists have been monitoring and recording these flips since 1976.

It seems that the Sun's magnetic field flips every 11 years when the Sun's polarity changes caused by the magnetic dynamo inside the sun reorganising itself and it's about to do it again according to NASA. This coincides with the greatest solar activity in the "cycles" of the sun, known as "solar maximum" - with sunspots and "coronal mass ejections" on the surface of the sun.

This change will have ripple effects throughout the solar system and the effects are so powerful they will be felt beyond Pluto - and may affect phenomena such as cosmic rays, which some believe can alter the climate on Earth.

Could this explain why Global Warming was renamed Climate Change (as, apparently, the Earth is cooling rather than warming up)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/sun-s-magne...4.html#sr7zXTE
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 07:44 PM

Re: The Flipping Sun

I think the whole business of climate change is so complex the scientists don't really know what's happening.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 07:48 PM

I'd read something about this last year.
I don't think we need to worry about it though.

The earth does it too but takes hundreds of years - the last time it happened we had the ice age, I believe.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I think the whole business of climate change is so complex the scientists don't really know what's happening.
The reason I found it interesting Alan is that it does tend to fly in the face of recent arguments regarding human activity - also, why, when they've had this information for so long, why has it n ever been presented as a counter-argument that climate change is anything but controllable?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

07-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->

The earth does it too but takes hundreds of years - the last time it happened we had the ice age, I believe.
I didn't know that! Is it on the same principle do you know?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top