Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Personna/gender

I just felt another thread coming on

I've just made the mistake of thinking someone posting was male, when they are female. I've done it before. It's funny how, if you don't go out of your way to find out, that you assume someone can be male or female or a different personna from who they actually are.

I remember on SZ there were apparently male and females posting as the opposite gender (?). Why the heck you'd want to do that is beyond me. Think they may be game players.

Also, I know there's a Troll thread, but there are people, without a doubt, who just forums just to take the p out of people. I wonder what type of person they are in the "real world". Unhappy is the first one that springs to my mind.

I might add that I have not come across anyone here impersonating the opposite gender.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Re: Personna/gender

Alice there is a little sign on the right of each post saying if a member is male or female
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 09:43 AM

I did the same Alice when I joined, not being used to forum life at all ! So, I went by the name, now of course I've learnt to look at that little sign - first .......
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 09:45 AM

I've never noticed that Meg - but then, I'm not very observant.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 10:16 AM

To be honest, I don't pay any attention to the gender/sexuality/ethnicity/religious affiliation etc of posters. I react/respond to what they say, not what they are.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Of course the veracity of the gender indicator is dependant on whether the member was honest at the sign up stage is it not, so not always a help if they intend to deceive...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
To be honest, I don't pay any attention to the gender/sexuality/ethnicity/religious affiliation etc of posters. I react/respond to what they say, not what they are.
I don't either Mick , it is of no consequence when it comes to responding to post unless the content of the post dictates otherwise .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 11:04 AM

It's hard to argue that gender doesn't impact on posts, as perspectives on the same subject can be completely opposite just owing to that one fact.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It's hard to argue that gender doesn't impact on posts, as perspectives on the same subject can be completely opposite just owing to that one fact.
Very true Barry, vive la difference!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I just felt another thread coming on

I've just made the mistake of thinking someone posting was male, when they are female. I've done it before. It's funny how, if you don't go out of your way to find out, that you assume someone can be male or female or a different personna from who they actually are.

I remember on SZ there were apparently male and females posting as the opposite gender (?). Why the heck you'd want to do that is beyond me. Think they may be game players.

Also, I know there's a Troll thread, but there are people, without a doubt, who just forums just to take the p out of people. I wonder what type of person they are in the "real world". Unhappy is the first one that springs to my mind.

I might add that I have not come across anyone here impersonating the opposite gender.
I thought Baxter was a male too for a time.. until I noticed the little female symbol under her name.. Don't feel bad..Baxter is a male name after all..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top