Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Fred Cannon War Hero

Fred Cannon 90 shot in the leg during the Normandy landings is left with only £10 a week after local council raids his war pension to pay for his care.
Meanwhile the same Government give away £12 billion a year in foreign aid. When will they realise that charity begins at home!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Re: Fred Cannon War Hero

I think its always been the same Doc, everywhere and everyone comes before their own people.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Meanwhile the same Government give away £12 billion a year in foreign aid.
I do not agree with donating such huge sums in foreign aid, it's claimed to be what the UN 'requests' as a percentage of GDP but can anyone name any other country which gives the same percent of their GDP I don't think there are many.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 05:41 PM

At 90 years old in full time care with all expenses paid, what does he need more than £10 per week for ?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Malcolm what a stupid thing to say, he's more off a man than you will ever be. A true Normandy landing hero. What have you ever done? You should be ashamed saying such a thing.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 03:29 PM

The trouble is that anything said in defence of what's happened is always going to seem callous but I think it does need analysing a bit. He is being looked after full time. Before forming an opinion on how well, I think it would be necessary to see the conditions he lives under and know if there are any expenses he is expected to pay.

If his care home includes nursing, television, available pastimes, food, electricity, gas, water and all other expenses, then perhaps life could be worse. Under those circumstances, a person may not have much need to spend money. Having said that, I would like to see him left with more than £10 for beer money and a few extras.

I wonder if he hadn't gone into care, would he have been worse off with having to pay rent, some Council Tax and perhaps a contribution to any nursing care carried out in his home? He may have been in the minuses with all that.

Does anybody know if other countries do better regarding the care of war veterans and old people in general?

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
...he's more off a man than you will ever be..
We can't know that, or how anyone would behave under the circumstances. Thankfully, most of us have never been called on to fight for our country's survival on a WWII scale. Anyone can be capable of bravery, even the unknown members of forums.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Thank you mart
I have reported that disgraceful post to the mods !
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

15-10-2015, 01:42 PM

So how would you get on with just £10 a week? What if he smokes and likes a drink or maybe a trip out won't get far on a tenner will he? And before you say he shouldn't smoke or drink so what if he does he earned the right to do these things, in my book all those old boys that served in WW2 are heroes and deserve better treatment. Scumbag prisoners get better treatment.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

15-10-2015, 01:45 PM

Reported me did you Malcolm oh dear!!! Teachers pet are you lol!!! I'm sure even the mods will agree with my point but there again maybe not.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

15-10-2015, 01:50 PM

Mart Japan worships their elderly and war veterans about time this country did the same,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top