Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 09:44 PM

Re: Bad Car Day

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Took a leap of faith, bought a Ford, from Mups neck of the woods, 15 years old 80000 miles, 14 documented services, will need a clutch though, sometime soon.
A Ford What Spitty?.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 10:05 PM

Another Mondeo, petrol this time, not diesel, no dual mass flywheel.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Another Mondeo, petrol this time, not diesel, no dual mass flywheel.
You'll not go far wrong with a Mondeo Spitty.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Probably had 7 ish Mondeos, in the last decade, it's sad to see a documented previous easy life.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-08-2017, 02:20 PM

I was wrong, this Mondeo does have a dual mass flywheel, but are less problematic when coupled to a petrol engine, anyway, this week I had the clutch replaced, as the original was biting rather high, which meant the battery had to be disconnected, when I got the car back, the radio was asking for a security code, so I went through all the documentation, but to no avail, no record of it anywhere, so I went on Ebay and bought a set of removal keys, I needed them quick, because I am going to an event tomorrow, and I would have been a drag, driving a distance without music.
They removal keys arrived this morning, but, alas they were not the correct ones, so, I went onto google, to see the type I needed, and spotted a YouTube video, where, some one had fabricated a pair of the tools from an old wire coat hanger, well, it's years since we had any wire coat hangers, but I have plenty of spare control rods, for the model aircrafts, so fashioned two of these to the correct shape, and bingo, Radio out.
I made a note of the serial number, went onto Ebay, paid £0.99p, and within 5 minutes had the security code, which has now been programmed in, travelling tomorrow will be heaven.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Gosh you're clever Spitty! I can't drive without music!
Someone once told me that if you check the oil and it's "creamy" it means the head gasket is going. I don't know if that's true amd I don't know how to check the oil either, so I'll never know....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Gosh you're clever Spitty! I can't drive without music!
Someone once told me that if you check the oil and it's "creamy" it means the head gasket is going. I don't know if that's true amd I don't know how to check the oil either, so I'll never know....
Yes that is a symptom of early head gasket failure , the water from your cooling system mixes with the oil, causing " mayonnaise" with possibly white smoke from the exhaust, as for checking oil its dead easy, just consult your cars manual and it will show you how
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

25-06-2018, 09:52 AM

Back in August, I had the Clutch done on that Mondeo as a precaution, at a cost of £350.00, when I got the car back, the pedal was still biting quite high so, I thought it must be a characteristic of this car, by March this year, and 10000 miles later, the Clutch was slipping beyond belief, leaving me to assume the Clutch was never replaced. I replaced the car in March, and, being such a good runner apart from the Clutch, it sat on the drive since. Had to bite the bullet today, and take it to the recyclers.
Done 6000 miles in the replacement so far, fingers crossed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Back in August, I had the Clutch done on that Mondeo as a precaution, at a cost of £350.00, when I got the car back, the pedal was still biting quite high so, I thought it must be a characteristic of this car, by March this year, and 10000 miles later, the Clutch was slipping beyond belief, leaving me to assume the Clutch was never replaced. I replaced the car in March, and, being such a good runner apart from the Clutch, it sat on the drive since. Had to bite the bullet today, and take it to the recyclers.
Done 6000 miles in the replacement so far, fingers crossed.
It's always a bit sad when they go to the scrap yard.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2018, 10:50 AM

Hi

I never buy new and normally run them into the ground, they have to be terminal before I sell them.

The exception was the 3 litre twin turbo Subaru, sold that after a few years because of the fuel costs.

It is still going and the last I heard it had 318,000 miles on the clock.

My diesel automatic C Max is 7 years old in December, only has 68,000 on the clock and hopefully will last for years.

Cars to me are for getting from A to B with a load of fishing tackle in.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top