Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 03:05 PM

"Peers unite to soften Brexit"

DT says, today, that the Lords will screw up Brexit. at least in the short term, unless the terms are "softened".

Seems to swing on a guarantee for the rights of EU citizens working here and a demand for a parliamentary VETO on the final deal.

The first one is not a problem for me, personally, but the second one looks just like another try at blocking Brexit?

Why doesn't TM sign up some of us, as peers, to get past all this.

Needless to say, you'd have to be in the pro Brexit threads to stand any chance of selection.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 04:38 PM

Re: "Peers unite to soften Brexit"

" The first one is not a problem for me, personally, but the second one looks just like another try at blocking Brexit? "

I see Heseltine is poking his nose in by saying he will rebel against the government in the debate for the PM taking us into Brexit but would support them if the Brexit deal was put to a vote. Another has-been dictating terms.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 04:58 PM

I think it is a lot of nonsense people stating what should happen before the negotiations even start.

Seems to swing on a guarantee for the rights of EU citizens working here
Of course we want to guarantee the rights of people working here, they make a valuable contribution to our economy but it needs to be reciprocal and that can only be discussed/decided when negotiations start not before.
What happens if we promise a guarantee now and the EU decide to be awkward and not to reciprocate.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 06:54 PM

I've no issue at all with EU residents settled in the UK remaining here provided that they've got jobs and are contributing to the system. This of course depends on a reciprocal arrangement with UK citizens settled in Europe being allowed to stay, but I assume that part will depend on how spiteful the EU wants to be with the arrangements.

Those that are here just to set up illegal camps and come to cheat and steal should be thrown out. Some of our local `street girls` are now competing with their east European counterparts trafficked in as sex workers - they should be shown the door too unless the girls can prove that they'd be in danger if they were sent back.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Now John Major (now reduced to corporal) marches in to give everyone his considered advice.

It is rumoured that he'll write a couple of books about it all:-

1) Don't do it!!

2) I told you so!!

(Frontispieces by Blair)

Maybe he's right! maybe we should all hide, in a safe place, until it's all over?

Or maybe we should fight - as Briits have always done - for what we believe is right.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Honestly, if ever there was a sane reason for a large scale culling of the once a long time ago respected House of Lords, but now just an irritating, unelected and unwanted large -scale embarrassment, this surely is the right time!

We would do well to start with the Nick Clegg cronies, entrenched on their fat backsides, collecting £300 every time they deign to perch on their comfy seats with their spiteful intent to cause chaos with Article 50. Just who are these old trouts intent on doing their bloody utmost to destroy Theresa May’s rightful intention to protect the rights of British citizens living throughout Europe, by pretending to be the saviors of the European citizens living here simply as a ploy to stop Brexit being negotiated for our best interest.
Why has that idiotic party actually paid for 90 camp-beds to enable these nobles to sleep over (the mind boggles, hope there are enough toilets!) in order to ensure these has-beens will vote for more amendments in order to thwart the timing of the negotiations.

In case those old cretins have forgotten, or simply and conveniently brushed the matter aside, Theresa May has already tried to resolve the matter of European citizens living and working in the UK by asking for assurances from the EU that both they and British Citizens in the EU should be assured that their residency will be protected. Did not these mostly bought for titled idiots note that it was because of Brussel's refusal to discuss it further that has caused all the upset of residency. Yet still these Limp Dem has-beens are quite happy championing Brussels instead of backing Theresa May’s hand in negotiating the rights of our own million British residents in Europe. It says it all.

Lord Tebbit got it exactly right when he stood up in the Lords, to jeers before the treacherous vote for the amendment by the LimpDems, when he said: “It seems the Lords and Ladies here are more interested in helping foreigners than our own million plus British people living in Europe!”

Quite honestly, the cretins who voted for the amendment in the House of Lords don’t give a flying fig about one British person living in Europe, nor do they care about the will of the British people, nor the fact that Article 50 was passed without a single amendment by the House of Commons. They are simply useless LibDem unelected and unaccountable cronies, placed in that white elephant of a building, to give a majority vote when needed by has-been Europhiles such as Clegg, Fallon and his useless party, 104 at the last count I believe, with their sole purpose of playing ping pong to delay triggering Article 50. B…...s! The lot of them. I sincerely hope, when this is over, Theresa May and the government, make them pay dearly for their sanctimonious, self-preening, grandstanding treachery!

I would be happy to see the useless flotsam cut from 800 to 300/400 with a mandate to only to be able to advise only in future. They must be dealt with.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

03-03-2017, 12:47 PM

Some of the "Peers" had to be guided to where the vote would be held. They only knew where the payment signing book was.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 01:24 PM

I agree SG, a cull of the Lords is way overdue.
Their daily allowance would pay for a few more nurses.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 01:33 PM

Exactly T, I apologise if my prior post sounds like a rant with the name-calling, but whenever Fallon, Clegg and their crony Lords and Ladies are mentioned, I despair!

I fail utterly to understand why every man-jack of those in both houses, hell-bent in their belief that their actions will somehow stop or delay the signing of Article 50, or even more mind-boggling, their dream of a second European Referendum, ever sleep at night knowing they are going against the democratic will of the people of this land. Not because their heart tells them it is wrong, (if I believed that I could perhaps have some respect for their decisions) but solely because every same man-jack of them are interested in only themselves and their wealth in being part of the cosy cartel known as the EU.
The British people's wise decision to revert to making our own destiny again has no doubt cost those still dreaming of a different result dearly in this department. Good, maybe now the ordinary, hard-working men and women in this country may be able to revert to a fairer society for all, not just the few!

As I said in my previous post, these destroyers of our democracy stopped caring about Britain, the British people and their yearning for a return to our democratic way of life a very long time ago after being seduced by the EU and all it had to offer to a certain few at a dreadful cost to the rest of us. All they have left now in their arsenal is mob rule as the LimpDems are trying to do. They still cannot believe that the plebs (us) took the monumental decision not to be ruled over anymore by a bullying, intransigent EU, followed closely by themselves. Sorry, Lords and Ladies, the days of serfdom are long gone, Today we have a voice and a vote and we put it to good use. Sorry to upset your cosy little applecart!

Now that was a Rant! Time for a Coffee and a Fairy Cake methinks!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

03-03-2017, 01:59 PM

Well said, again, SG!

I guess that you might get that many of the old PMs, etc., will have been heavily involved in stitching us into the EU back in the day.

Wouldn't want to spoil their self- hero worshipping memoirs!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top