Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 07:17 PM

Re: Solution to many things

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Because nobody would want them.
Not so sure about that Are you suggesting that if I offered you a car which had all of it's current features plus you would never, ever, be fined for speeding, plus your insurance would be significantly lower, plus it'd be highly unlikely that it would be stolen and if it was, then you'd be able to stop it from travelling further and you'd be able to locate it instantly, then you'd say "no thanks"?

You're crazy
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 07:21 PM

Lots of cars now have speed recognition , so the car can see the road sign and indicate the speed for that road, the EU, are proposing that all future cars will have a sign recognition system linked to a speed limiter, so the car will automatically keep the speed to the limit of the road, drivers will , however be able to override the system, my car is fitted with a speed sign recognition but it doesn’t always work, eg, I can be travelling on a 30mph road and the camera can read a 20 mph limit as it passes a side road, so if a system was fitted where the car would automatically slow to 20 mph it could cause accidents , although I suppose it would warn you, before it took action..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 08:21 PM

Your solution is a tad over-simplified Dextrous I fear.

For it to work the device would have to have online access to a vast database that tracked the speed limits of every road in the country. Limits that change. Roads that may have temporary road works etc.

So your device might limit the car to 50mph on a given road, but if it has temporary road works limited to 30mph then the device isn't going to stop you speeding

If such a device is going to shift the onus of responsibility from the driver to the device then it needs to be 100% accurate and I doubt that's possible,

If the driver still has to be totally aware of the limits and drive within them then what use is the device? It would lull people into a false sense of security, thinking that the device is always going to stop them from speeding and then one day they will be caught out.

Aside from that there's the complications of how such a device would integrate with every different manufacturer of vehicles and every different model. Anything that integrates with acceleration would be pretty serious.

What if it the device had a malfunction?

It couldn't make you speed up of course, but if it failed it could do the complete reverse, it might suddenly restrict your speed to 5mph or even zero.

Not good if you are just crossing a railway line or are in the fast lane of a motorway!

As for tracking vehicles, well tracking systems have been available for many years now. Unfortunately they are expensive and require constant subscriptions for the service provision so unlikely to catch on any more than the current take up imho.

Unfortunately our current authorities will continue to use the motorist as a cash cow and speeding fines and speed awareness courses are their prime revenue generator. So they're not going to allow anything to obstruct that revenue stream.

What would be interesting is if 100s of fed up people took to the motorways and drove 3 abreast, one in each lane at exactly 70mph.

If enough people did this then the motorways would rumble on at 70mph and they'd get no speeding tickets. I expect the police would quickly fond some excuse to prosecute them though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Is that because the car knew it was going to Scotland so dug its (w)heels in?

I just remember attempting to overtake, only for the car to splutter on the wrong side of the road. The hire company didn't warn me.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Your solution is a tad over-simplified Dextrous I fear.

For it to work the device would have to have online access to a vast database that tracked the speed limits of every road in the country. Limits that change. Roads that may have temporary road works etc.

So your device might limit the car to 50mph on a given road, but if it has temporary road works limited to 30mph then the device isn't going to stop you speeding
This wouldn't be a problem if those performing roadworks had booked them in and the temporary speed limit was activated within the GPS system.

If such a device is going to shift the onus of responsibility from the driver to the device then it needs to be 100% accurate and I doubt that's possible,

If the driver still has to be totally aware of the limits and drive within them then what use is the device? It would lull people into a false sense of security, thinking that the device is always going to stop them from speeding and then one day they will be caught out.
A valid point, to an extent. We assume that the speedometer of our cars are accurate and remain fully calibrated, which is not the case as we all know. I often notice that roadside speed "checkers" tell me that I'm travelling at 25mph when my speedometer suggests its 30. A GPS would be far more accurate, surely?

Aside from that there's the complications of how such a device would integrate with every different manufacturer of vehicles and every different model. Anything that integrates with acceleration would be pretty serious.
Not sure that this is really a significant problem. The device would measure speed, not acceleration.

What if it the device had a malfunction?

It couldn't make you speed up of course, but if it failed it could do the complete reverse, it might suddenly restrict your speed to 5mph or even zero.

Not good if you are just crossing a railway line or are in the fast lane of a motorway!
in the same way that any sudden engine malfunction might, surely?

As for tracking vehicles, well tracking systems have been available for many years now. Unfortunately they are expensive and require constant subscriptions for the service provision so unlikely to catch on any more than the current take up imho.
They may be expensive now, but prices tend to drop as uptake increases.

Unfortunately our current authorities will continue to use the motorist as a cash cow and speeding fines and speed awareness courses are their prime revenue generator. So they're not going to allow anything to obstruct that revenue stream.
There are other ways to generate additional income which aren't so cynical. Indeed, these may well be preferable as they would be open and honest.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:28 PM

No one nicks cars anymore, in the traditional sense, no car nickers back then, ever broke into some ones abode, in the depth of the night, and nicked the car keys!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

13-01-2019, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
No one nicks cars anymore, in the traditional sense, no car nickers back then, ever broke into some ones abode, in the depth of the night, and nicked the car keys!
Gin seems to be affecting your literary skills (no criticism, it happens to me far too often too ), but I get your drift.

We've had our cars stolen through the expedience of accidentally leaving a front window open on occasion, leading to Burglar Bill hopping in and helping themselves to the keys.

Silly mistake, I know, but nobody's perfect.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 12:14 AM

Sentiment, and maybe Ginseng would help, maybe. "".
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm not sure I agree with automatically reducing the speed of vehicles. Sometimes the best way out of an accident is acceleration not braking.
True, you sometimes need that burst of speed in order to get out of a dangerous situation, turbos rule ok!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Not sure if I've mentioned on here or not, but it strikes me that if all new cars were fitted with GPS enabled controls which prevented a car from travelling at a higher than the speed designated for any particular road, then there'd be no more speeding tickets.
Well it would certainly put a stop to those dangerous pursuits I keep seeing on programmes like "Police, Camera, Action".

Though presumably police cars, ambulances and fire engines would not need to have them fitted.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top