Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2019, 10:03 PM

Re: The cost of new technology in modern cars

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Nowadays there is competition between manufacturers as to who can offer the most new technology to secure sales. The VW Golf was not available without all the 'goodies' so no choice really if I wanted to buy the car. When this incident occurred I just thought I would not bother to have it repaired as it's not necessary, but of course that lowers the value of the car by the cost of repairs should I wish to trade it in.
We, too, have a new Golf. It's a beautiful car to drive and I have no problems with it.

Yes, it has Adaptive Cruise Control, Assisted Front Braking, and several other things which, to be honest, we never seem to use.

They include different 'driving modes' (Eco, Normal, Sport) which, to be honest, make absolutely no appreciable difference to our driving.

Another thing (whose name I can't remember) connects to our mobile phones to keep us informed about various things, including finding where it is when it's parked(!), although, it refuses to connect to my phone.

Just sales gimmicks, as far as I'm concerned.

If we could have bought a similar model without all these bells and whistles, at a lower price of course, we would have done.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2019, 10:07 PM

The VW Golf also has the 'stop / start' feature for fuel-saving.
Yes, that too, though I always disable that when I set off during the winter months. Although it claims to monitor the battery condition, I can't bring myself to trust it not to make me end up with a flat battery due to constant stop-start in traffic queues.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2019, 10:11 PM

Toyota most would agree are the worlds most reliable cars , but it’s only a Toymota so they invented Lexus brand to go against Mercedes etc and whilst the thinking man knows it’s the better car in much the same way as every car enthusiast accepts a Honda NSX is far superior to any Ferrari .. the Nissan GTR is quite simply the best car on the planet end of argument ... it’s a bloody Nissan and that cuts no kudo’s against ‘ I drive a Lamborghini ‘ ( Nissan tried the Lexus trick with infinity but failed ) ... the Germans have family cars sewn up as we associate the panzer wagons with excellence and people buy the 3 series bmw believing they’ve bought the best car or an Audi A4 etc when in reality they are far from best these days and Lexus fights the good fight on its own ha ha
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-03-2019, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Oh my goodness,£20,000 for a battery!! Maybe hybrid cars are the way to go then.
Even hybrid car batteries will eventually need replacing, at a frightening cost.

I would never touch one, whatever the government dictates.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2019, 10:33 PM

That’s just it, once these cars are a few years old they will be uneconomical to fix, although some of these batteries are meant to last a few years, they’ll need replacing at some point,
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, that too, though I always disable that when I set off during the winter months. Although it claims to monitor the battery condition, I can't bring myself to trust it not to make me end up with a flat battery due to constant stop-start in traffic queues.
I used to worry about the battery going flat too. When I asked the salesman about it he said that the car's computer monitors the battery and if there was not enough charge remaining to start the car next time then the engine would not stop. It's also a high capacity battery. If you've not tried it then you may not have noticed, but after the initial start and perhaps with the headlights and heater on in winter the circle with an A in it indicating the stop / start feature on the right of the dashboard display then has a diagonal line through it. That is when the stop / start is not operating as the battery charge is being used elsewhere. In five years mine has not let me down (touch wood now I've mentioned it) so to me that's a fair time to test something. Perhaps if you give it a try and see how it goes you might get to trust it. I also take note if say, traffic lights are soon about to change to green on approaching them, so by keeping the clutch depressed while waiting a short time this prevents the stop / start from operating.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Even hybrid car batteries will eventually need replacing, at a frightening cost.

I would never touch one, whatever the government dictates.
I have read somewhere that it's possible to lease the batteries as they are so expensive to replace. That's fine but with electric cars they are supposed to be less to run than conventional engined cars. What's the point if additional money has to be spent on buying the car initially and then leasing the batteries at additional cost?

The way I see it is that I might as well keep with a petrol or diesel car that is now worth nothing, due to today's massive depreciation, but costs far less than an electric car to buy and run.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-03-2019, 10:50 PM

I used to worry about the battery going flat too. When I asked the salesman about it he said that the car's computer monitors the battery and if there was not enough charge remaining to start the car next time then the engine would not stop. It's also a high capacity battery. If you've not tried it then you may not have noticed, but after the initial start and perhaps with the headlights and heater on in winter the circle with an A in it indicating the stop / start feature on the right of the dashboard display then has a diagonal line through it. That is when the stop / start is not operating as the battery charge is being used elsewhere. In five years mine has not let me down (touch wood now I've mentioned it) so to me that's a fair time to test something. Perhaps if you give it a try and see how it goes you might get to trust it. I also take note if say, traffic lights are soon about to change to green on approaching them, so by keeping the clutch depressed while waiting a short time this prevents the stop / start from operating.
I'm sure you're right.

Anyway, Marge doesn't disable it and, to be fair, she hasn't ended up stranded... yet!
Baz46

11-03-2019, 10:55 PM

I'm sure you're right.

Anyway, Marge doesn't disable it and, to be fair, she hasn't ended up stranded... yet!
What I now think of more than the battery going flat is how much it will cost to replace that when that becomes necessary!

Must find out just to prepare myself for the shock, there's no way of claiming on insurance for that event either.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-03-2019, 10:57 PM

What I now think of more than the battery going flat is how much it will cost to replace that when that becomes necessary!

Must find out just to prepare myself for the shock, there's no way of claiming on insurance for that event either.
Don't tell me that if you change the battery you have to have an 'expert' reset the computer and God knows what else!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top