Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 10:24 AM

All new cars to have speed limiters from 2022

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-EU-rules.html

What do you think? Do you think it is a good thing which will ultimately save lives or something that could actually cause more accidents?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Re: All new cars to have speed limiters from 2022

Personally I favour the opening comment made in the linked article:

"But AA president Edmund King said the technology could make cars less safe and the 'best speed limiter is the driver’s right foot' when used 'to do the right speed in the right situation'."

I've always liked speed and believe if more people knew, and were taught, what speed actually is and how to control both that urge to speed and the car in inappropriate places, times or weather the roads would be far safer.

This technology is already here, in a slightly less 'Big Brother' form. I have it on my VW Golf as part of the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) / Front Brake Assist (emergency braking system), it's under my control though and not part of a 'black box' making it compulsory. The later VW models, I am informed, have this technology which is able to recognise the varying speed limit signs and will slow the car to that speed. It may even be an 'extra' now, not sure. But what a brilliant idea in this county, where we have so many ridiculous changes of speed limits by as little as 10mph within a few miles, that it's so easy, even for an experienced driver, to simply lose track of what the applicable speed limit is.

New technology would be far better used, in my opinion, to prevent so many drivers being so irresponsible as to use mobile phones, not the 'hands-free' type but holding a mobile so as to use it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Speed limites are about the worst thing to have on a car. When I joined Post office Telephones, as it was known then, we had morris minor vans( with rubber wings) that had speed limiters on them

They were restricted to 30MPH with a very slow pickup speed, so to even overtake a push bike was problematical. That was let alone keeping up with traffic and going uphill impossible.

So ok they were severely restricted, but there are times when you need that bit of power even to avoid an accident.

My Nissan has all the bells and whistles on it including 5 cameras. What would be better than speed limiters is all new cars fitted with dashcams
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Will this law apply to Police cars and Ambulances I wonder?

BREAKING NEWS:-
Police chase joyriders from Sheffield all the way to John O Groats at forty miles an hour, they were only apprehended after they ran out of road....

And if it doesn't apply to Ambulances I can see a lot of people driving round in second hand Ambulances....At least they'll be good for moving that sofa or taking rubbish to the dump...And perhaps the EU will make it law to house some immigrants in it....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:04 AM

God help the convoy of older cars stuck behind a new one with a speed limiter on it while on their way to work in a morning....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-03-2019, 11:07 AM

And is this the same EU that was designed to make it easier for European countries to trade with each other?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:15 AM

As someone who never knowingly breaks the speed limit, I like this idea but, there needs to be a way to take control manually if you find yourself in a dangerous situation.
I get fed up of idiots trying to make me break the speed limit by tailgating and trying to overtake when I can't see what's coming let alone them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:25 AM

I guess this new EU 'rule' would make very little difference to caravanners then!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Do my best not to break speed limits, can't claim to be perfect as some roads seem to have forgotten to put up signage but so I can't see a problem with them although will they be able to tell one road from another or just stop them going over national speed limit ? if it's just to stop them going over 70 how does that help with the places people speed most ? the 30-40 m/h zones.

If people want to do 150 on a motorway they can kill other drivers know the risks but doing 40 in a 30 zone can kill children and pedestrians who are going about their own lives.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:50 AM

It might work. I suppose performance-wise, it would be not a lot different to the speed limiter that comes as part of cruise control.

This would be quite a bit better than when I worked for Radio Rentals. We had a period where the vans had engines with governors fitted. They were sluggish in general performance and horrible to drive.

I'm also supposing that it would use sat-nav technology to know the speed limit of the bit of road you're travelling on and limit the speed accordingly.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top