Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 02:36 PM

Re: All new cars to have speed limiters from 2022

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
I only caught part of this item on the news

But I thought it said it was a proposal in the EU and that it had to be ratified by all leaders well that will never happen

Also here in Spain you very rarely see the traffic cops they have very few speed cameras and everybody speeds even lorries governed to 80KPH go past you at over 100 and the speed limit is 80 on most duel carriageways you will still see people on their mobiles even though it carries a fine

I must admit to quicking but like most towns and cities in the UK the traffic is that bad that you very rarely get to speed apart from motorways so putting a governor on the engine might work but there are so many old cars that unless you make them change it is going to take a hell of a long time and by then we will be on self drive cars
Assuming we have cars at all by then, the way things are going
the cars wont resemble present cars at all
they will all be electric, their speed controlled by the road,their
safe distance controlled by the vehicle,their directions controlled
by satnav
They wont have steering wheels at all,
All the above will be controlled by the bloody EU.

Best regards. Donkeyman.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Satellites whirring around in space are very sensitive to outside influences i.e. sunspot activity and magnetic waves, there will be a hell of a mess on the roads when the big pulse comes and knocks them all out......

Satellites have only been in operation for a short time (about the sixties I think) so have not experienced all that the sun has to offer yet....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Satellites whirring around in space are very sensitive to outside influences i.e. sunspot activity and magnetic waves, there will be a hell of a mess on the roads when the big pulse comes and knocks them all out......

Satellites have only been in operation for a short time (about the sixties I think) so have not experienced all that the sun has to offer yet....
I never thought of that OGF, l cant wait to see that happen!
What about all the other satellite dependant crap we are becoming
reliant upon, should get very interesting when the universe
strikes back.

Best Regards, Donkeyman.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 06:37 PM

I posted about this several months ago, I would imagine that this is the very early stages of trialing technology for the eventual introduction of totally autonomous cars, we already have speed limiters and traffic recognition ( my car has these) Volvo have semi driverless cars on the road today, albeit in very limited form, one of the problems is, for instance, my car will recognise the speed limit sign at say 30mph, but it can pass a side street that is a 20 mph limit, which it will also recognise, so it thinks I should be doing 20, now imagine this at 70mph, and you run alongside a 40 road, will the car suddenly slow down to 40?, perhaps not, of course it will also have a “ black box “ fitted, with gps so it should know where the car is in relation to the road and speed, but we all know what computers are like..the system will be initially be able to be overridden by the driver, Of course it’s being introduced to cut road fatalities,which is a good thing, but it has a long way to go before it will be completely reliable..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 08:03 PM

That will end GT badged cars and special upgraded models
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 10:01 PM

What they should develop is a huge hologram hand pointing down at any car that's speeding and a big booming voice saying, "Hey you there! Slow down!"
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 10:37 PM

@Primus1

"Of course it’s being introduced to cut road fatalities"

Or increase EU control and reduce personal freedoms.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
@Primus1

"Of course it’s being introduced to cut road fatalities"

Or increase EU control and reduce personal freedoms.
It will be adopted by the UK, when we leave the EU..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:02 PM

I think the idea is good, though I'd expect emergency vehicles to be exempt.

I'm sure that problems would become apparent, though:

Older cars would not be speed restricted, though I suppose the devices could be retrofitted - at cost to the owner, of course.

Criminals could remove or disable these limiting devices.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think the idea is good, though I'd expect emergency vehicles to be exempt.

I'm sure that problems would become apparent, though:

Older cars would not be speed restricted, though I suppose the devices could be retrofitted - at cost to the owner, of course.

Criminals could remove or disable these limiting devices.
I wonder how much that would cost for a 1984 sports car with a Ford V6 2.8 engine and no electronics? Probably ten times or more what the car is actually worth!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top