Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Re: The Bastard Stalls!

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Fixed it! Not ddifficult but in future will know the easy way.

The above are a couple of shots of the carbi and air filter removed from the machine. Notice the black plastic Philips head screw.

In the last pic you can see the two jets - the main jet unscrews from the centre of the bowl (I have removed the float). The pilot/idling jet is accessible from outside the carbi. If you look carefully at the first picture you can see it sitting under the Philips head screw, that screw is the idling stop. To remove the pilot jet it is just a matter of removing the screw and levering the jet out, cleaning it and putting it back.

I use the good old faithful fuse wire for cleaning carbi jets.

It started first go and was back to its old self. Pretty pleased.

Alas not everything went smoothly. The servo has a quite stiff spring where it connects to the throttle, I assume to protect it from jamming. I knew it might fly away so I took precautions, all to no avail. Off it sprang to somewhere in my garage. I replaced it with a piece of electrical insulation cut to size which seems to work though less compressible than the spring.
Good on yer Brucy, looks like l was right?

Regards Donkeyman!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Maybe worth a try, not sure of the name of the product other than it being a carburettor cleaner.
Originally Posted by fender ->
You can get spares here Bruce - they ship worldwide.

https://www.generatorguru.com/f5200i/
Sorry I forgot to reply - useful info, thanks.

The spares web site I shall record some of the parts I noticed are generic (like the servos) but certainly for other parts might come in handy though I hope it will last long enough to make the next option scrapping it and buying another or one similar.

The carburettor cleaner I did buy and use but I am not sure it is something I would like to use often. It is definitely has a use as a paint stripper and is very corrosive. When used to clean parts there are probably safer cleaners so keeping it for spraying in the air inlet while the engine is running might be the best option because handling it seems a bit dodgy certainly worse than other solvents - I was very glad I was wearing latex gloves when I used it.

One thing I did do was run the fuel tank empty when I tested the generator, afterwards I flushed it out with ordinary unleaded petrol and run it for a while to be on the safe side. Don't really like E10, the ethanol has some bad side effects especially on small motors that don't run often - I don't mind it in my mower but these generators sit too long without being used and ethanol apart from dissolving some materials has an affinity for water. Anyway I will buy ordinary unleaded when filling my jerry can from now on.

My new 2KW generator has also arrived, it is much lighter than this one being only about 20kg all up so more suitable for travelling.

Naturally when it first arrived I had to test it. It's another Chinese engine with sine wave inverter, only rated for 1.6KW continuous but able to withstand higher starting loads - when I was testing it it took 2.3kW for a short while without tripping before the load dropped back to 1.5Kw. (The Fuji inverter trips almost the instant it reaches its rated load)

After putting oil and fuel in, the new machine started second pull which was quite impressive. Once it had warmed up I tried various loads and rapid changes of loads before doing the test above. For a cheapy it seemed pretty good at a quarter of the price of the equivalent Honda gennie.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 06:57 PM

Personally I think the cheap Chinese ones are fine if they're only to be used now and then.
A mate of mine who's a forester tried a cheap Chinese chainsaw almost for a laugh, but it actually lasted him blooming ages.
Some of the remote electric start ones are getting cheaper now as well.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 07:39 PM

Sorry I forgot to reply - useful info, thanks.

– Snip –

The carburettor cleaner I did buy and use but I am not sure it is something I would like to use often. It is definitely has a use as a paint stripper and is very corrosive. When used to clean parts there are probably safer cleaners so keeping it for spraying in the air inlet while the engine is running might be the best option because handling it seems a bit dodgy certainly worse than other solvents - I was very glad I was wearing latex gloves when I used it.

– Snip –
This would possibly have been the aerosol I used or one very similar, see link below. I note your comments regarding how corrosive the one you used was. Not too sure how bad that is in regard to this one, although it does state it's corrosive. I have now read the Safety Data Sheet for this product on the website and from that it's obviously not a product to be used if safety is ignored. When I used it I sprayed it into the carburettor while the engine was running on fast idle. It was a mechanic at the garage who usually serviced the car who recommended using the cleaner, which he uses on both carburettors and diesel injectors, so probably a person who knows what they are doing I guess.

No idea if you have Halfords stores in Australia but here in the UK that's where I buy things like this:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...-cleaner-500ml

Click this on the website before using: View the Safety Data Sheet

Edited to add: Good that you got it going with your repairs.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 04:02 AM

This was the one I bought

It has lots of warnings like - do not get on paint or plastics, do not allow contact with electronic components, do not inhale, flush eyes for 15 minutes it they get in contact, this is a professional product etc

It was very effective but I doubt I shall use it again for a very long time, as I say I was glad I was wearing gloves - it was cheap enough only about $7 (£3.50)
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-05-2019, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Personally I think the cheap Chinese ones are fine if they're only to be used now and then.
A mate of mine who's a forester tried a cheap Chinese chainsaw almost for a laugh, but it actually lasted him blooming ages.
Some of the remote electric start ones are getting cheaper now as well.
I agree, in fact the Chinese motors are getting much more reliable. My Victa mower (they invented rotary mowers) has a motor called a V40 it is a Chinese copy of a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke. The motor is still very fine and has run for many years however the steel mower body has rusted through (my neglect). I am debating whether to buy a new chassis or replace the whole mower next summer the price difference is quite modest.

The electric start generators are, as you say getting cheaper in fact the open chassis type of generator now costs about the same a pull start enclosed (ie quieter) type
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 08:53 AM

I agree, in fact the Chinese motors are getting much more reliable. My Victa mower (they invented rotary mowers) has a motor called a V40 it is a Chinese copy of a Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke. The motor is still very fine and has run for many years however the steel mower body has rusted through (my neglect). I am debating whether to buy a new chassis or replace the whole mower next summer the price difference is quite modest.

The electric start generators are, as you say getting cheaper in fact the open chassis type of generator now costs about the same a pull start enclosed (ie quieter) type
I've a mower with the shell rusting out.or it was until I took more sensible precautions, patched it up with fire glass and clean it regularly,but the Briggs motor is a beauty,they were being used on Lister elevators way back when I was working as a kid on a farm,it'll take something special imo to replace them motors.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 09:12 AM

This was the one I bought

It has lots of warnings like - do not get on paint or plastics, do not allow contact with electronic components, do not inhale, flush eyes for 15 minutes it they get in contact, this is a professional product etc

It was very effective but I doubt I shall use it again for a very long time, as I say I was glad I was wearing gloves - it was cheap enough only about $7 (£3.50)
There's no avoiding those warnings is there! Unlike the one I used where even the warning I pointed out on the online description is not exactly helpful. Other than the obligatory warning logos it's written in regulatory terms. There's no warning word "POISON" on the front of the aerosol as on your one. Maybe the Wynn's product is not as toxic as the one you bought or perhaps labelling regulations are different in Australia?

Well worth knowing about the downsides of these products though.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2019, 11:42 AM

Stihl sell low volatile fuels which have a 5 year shelf life and prevent varnish blocking jets but it's quite expensive. This is a link to the 4 stroke version but they also do premixed 2 stroke fuel.

https://www.stihl.co.uk/VIKING-Produ...oke-fuel.aspx#

ETA 2 stroke fuel link

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...3/MotoMix.aspx

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top