Join for free
Page 67 of 239 « First < 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 > Last »
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 09:49 AM

Re: The Pages of Punch

1938: Guest at the Wedding

This scenario has appeared in a number of Punch cartoons over the years. In each the usher simply wishes to guide the new arrival into the bride’s or the groom’s side of the church. Each time we are presented with a variant of this reply. The one I remember best is the surly old man who, when asked whether he is a friend of the bride or the groom, replies “I sincerely detest them both!”

It makes me wonder why this stream of visitors wishes to attend the wedding of two people with whom they are quite unconnected. I imagine that they did so in order to be seen by the ‘right’ people.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2016, 09:42 AM

1938: The Triumph of Jargon

Business is uppermost in the mind of the diner. He and his guest have papers in their hands. The host is clutching his own sheaf very firmly. He has a further set of documents waiting in the brief case on the floor at his side. It is really not that unlikely that he will erroneously describe a menu as an agenda.

I would guess they are cooking up a big deal.
Mr Magoo
London

07-06-2016, 09:44 AM

1938: Polo

In 1938 polo was already well placed in the public’s consciousness a game played exclusively by toffs. Considering the cost of maintaining a horse in peak condition this is not surprising.

The point of the joke is that these polo players have been reduced to the same position as that of urchins who have been just kicking a ball about in some open space.
Mr Magoo
London

08-06-2016, 09:46 AM

I have now exhausted my stock of 1938 cartoons and we now move on to 1960 – still far off but closer to the present day than anything else I have shown.

The Swinging Sixties had not properly started and we see only mild foretastes of things to come. Most of the cartoons display a quite naïve innocence and the following joke is a good example of this tendency.

-----

1960: What Does She Mean?

The ‘expert tuition’ available to the other two leaners is much more to the taste of this learner. Her earnest tutor is too concerned with the way in which she is holding her club. He should be holding her instead.

Politically correct it isn’t. I can’t see this joke going down well in 2016.
Mr Magoo
London

09-06-2016, 09:28 AM

1960: Town v. Countryside

Many people in the countryside would have had a pretty poor opinion about town dwellers. (And they still do.) This cartoon probably exaggerates the extent of townee ignorance.
Mr Magoo
London

10-06-2016, 09:42 AM

1960: Office Efficiency

Time and Motion studies were all the rage at that time. The idea was to establish a standard time for the performance of each unit of work. Once this had been achieved the idea then was to reward those workers who performed it in less time and to penalise those who took longer. I think this whole idea was quietly shelved during the subsequent industrial disputes in the 1970s.

The director naturally has no interest in having his own work being measured in the same way. This is particularly the case in what he is now doing. However, this piece of demure canoodling would have looked quite antiquated only a few years later – even in the pages of Punch.
Mr Magoo
London

11-06-2016, 09:53 AM

1960: Salesmanship

The ‘little woman’ whose mental horizons are totally grounded in the home has had her head turned by a good looking door-to-door salesman. She readily admits that this is case. We are here looking at a way of life that has almost entirely disappeared.
Mr Magoo
London

12-06-2016, 09:43 AM

1960: Wrong Statuary

The top hats look decidedly old-fashioned for 1960. I know that they were then worn for really pretentious weddings and I recall seeing very grand men dolled up with them in the City at the time but for an unveiling I really doubt that this would any more have been the correct attire. The lady who has just unveiled the statue presumably is Lady Rumble the ‘great’ man’s widow.
Mr Magoo
London

13-06-2016, 10:08 AM

1960: Humility of a Public Servant

The man who collects the parking fees isn’t supposed to short-change the law-abiding motorists who have paid to look at the sea. Such deference would have looked out of place only a few years later.
Mr Magoo
London

14-06-2016, 09:46 AM

1960: Finding Directions

Since he is lost he hopes to be able to read her shirt. It’s just an amusing idea, that’s all. I expect there was a fashion for this type of design.

Page 67 of 239 « First < 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top