Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 12:12 PM

I've Got (had) a Travel Plan for April

I had a plan to spend a month travelling up to Cooktown from the middle of April.

Here is a map:

https://goo.gl/maps/Bek3zaMMpi42

There is a fly in the ointment in the form of ex-Cyclone Iris which has travelled a long way since it formed near Fiji . It has been over the Pacific travelling nearly as far south as Brisbane's Latitude but turned round and headed north west where is currently a rain depression dropping masses of water on the North Qld coast (up to 500mm in 24 hours a couple of days ago).

Now, according to BOM, there is a medium chance that it could reform into a cyclone!

The cyclone season is supposed to finish in April but there is no point in going if the roads are flooded.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Re: I've Got (had) a Travel Plan for April

Blooming weather spoils all the best plans
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Blooming weather spoils all the best plans
Yep, I still have a couple of weeks before I plan to leave but it is not looking good; the wet season started late and looks like it is hanging on late too.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-04-2018, 04:49 AM

Cyclone Iris has reformed into a cyclone and still hanging about off Qld but it is predicted to move out to sea and not cross the coast.

Tropical cyclone Iris is expected to continue moving southwest for most of the day today, before becoming slow moving tonight. On Tuesday the system is expected to turn east and move away from the Queensland coast. It may develop further, but is not expected to cross the Queensland coast.

Damaging wind gusts and heavy rainfall are possible about coastal and island areas between about Rollingstone and Sarina as the cyclone makes its closest approach to the coast. A severe weather warning is current

It may turn out OK.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-04-2018, 04:25 AM

Finally! The bloody thing is dying. Still plenty of bad weather from Iris though. I can't remember a cyclone hanging about for so long.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 08:23 AM

Fingers crossed for you Bruce, when are you planning on setting off on your travels?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 09:05 AM

You may want to go by boat instead....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-04-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Fingers crossed for you Bruce, when are you planning on setting off on your travels?
I was setting off next Wednesday but I will wait to see how things are the week after there is no rush.

If the worst comes to the worst then I can always go somewhere else. You could argue that April is probably a bit early in the "dry" season so any delay is fine, I just like travelling out side the main season (July to September) - anyway QLD schools go back on the 17th so that's a bonus.

I wasn't planning a big trip - no more than a month.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top