Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 10:27 PM

Re: Boarding Kennels

Dog buddy does have insurance but it always best to have your own dog insurance .I don't know if they are all money grabbers or just people who like dogs and willing to earn a bit of money a the same time.
My sons neighbours are dog buddies and they are always booked up they are so popular .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 11:17 PM

Hopefully your sons neighbours are licenced. Some organisations claim their clients are licenced by them which is doubtful ,if not a down right lie to mislead , as the actual licence has to be on display in the premises the dogs are staying in.

Also the house should have been inspected by the environmental office before the licence is given so that the number of dogs allowed to be there anyone time is known and shown on the licence

so as they enter the house the licence should be on a wall or desk in a prominent position.

When we had the kennels the number of times we heard about dogs in the back garden and the dustmen going in through the back gate and the dogs getting out.

With our kennels someone had to be there all the time animals were on the premises being boarded, don't know if this also applies to home boarding.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 11:20 PM

Do you need to be licensed to take dogs into you right own home ?
Dog buddies are not kennels.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 11:24 PM

lets get one thing straight
it does not matter what name is used, if they are boarding other peoples dogs and being paid for it they MUST be licenced.
not if just looking after a friends dog or relatives that is different
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Hopefully your sons neighbours are licenced. Some organisations claim their clients are licenced by them which is doubtful as the actual licence has to be on display in the premises the dogs are staying in.

Also the house should have been inspected by the environmental office before the licence is given so that the number of dogs allowed to be there anyone time is known and shown on the licence so as they enter the house the licence should be on a wall or desk in a prominent position.

When we had the kennels the number of times we heard about dogs in the back garden and the dustmen going in through the back gate and the dogs getting out.

With our kennels someone had to be there all the time animals were on the premises being boarded, don't know if this also applies to home boarding.

A bit more info here about home boarding:

https://www.gov.uk/animal-boarding-e...shment-licence
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-08-2018, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A bit more info here about home boarding:

https://www.gov.uk/animal-boarding-e...shment-licence
Exactly what I have said, thanks for confirming.
So many people do not realise they are actually aiding and abetting breaking the law.

What really scare me if animals are found in an unlicenced premises they can get removed and put somewhere in a dog shelter like the RSPCA etc, and the owners may well loose their pets

This is why we always use licenced kennels. The risks are too great for our pets anyway.

When we had kennels on rare occasions we had people turn up in great distress hoping their dogs had been brought to us for his very reason.

We just thought why on earth did you not book your pet into a properly run boarding establishment instead.
It was the animal we felt sorry for not stupid owners
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

06-08-2018, 11:38 PM

i wouldn't know Realspeed .
Dog Buddy is well known and it doesn't say anything about licences .
This man who had my dog looked after him no problems .
It wasn't a kennels just his house with a secure garden .
They walk the dogs ( always on the lead )
Dog buddy is easily accessible on the public domain so I dont think it's illegal .
It's the same as trusted pet sitter .
Maybe there is a licences involved I don't know.
Not all dogs are happy in kennels and feel happier in a home environment .
Anyway it's only a suggestion .
As a former kennel owner naturally you would not like to see people jeopardising the boarding kennel industry .
The same as hotels are always moaning about Air B and B.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 11:42 PM

Here you go, some info about Dog Buddy's insurance:

https://uk.dogbuddy.com/insurance
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-08-2018, 11:45 PM

Muddy the big trap you are falling into as I have explained already. Dog Buddy or any similar company cannot and does not hold the licence for the property the animal is staying in .
Just looked at their web site quickly and they do not even claim to have any connection with individual boarding licence. All they claim is the premises is vetted but not by the council. Any Tom Dick or Harry can claim they vetted a permises

All that BS about insurance which they make a big point of is worthless if the home is not licenced and that they carefully avoid

All i say is do your own checks and inspections first and know what to ask

1 are they Licenced
2 how many dogs are allowed on the licences
3 insist on seeing it, don't get fobbed off
4 check where the dogs are staying ie room and number in it
5 which vet would they use if needed
6 how much exercise per day and how often
7 can a friend look in to see how he dog is settling down
8 check food and more important water bowls, are they
filled.
9 seek others who have used them before to double check
10 forgot to see insurance policy and what it covers
11 they should also have at least third party insurance as well as dog insurance
just a few pointers, if a negative answer to any of them steer well clear

11 explained. If a dog even wet someones clothes third party will cover the cost, otherwise you will have to pick up the bill, that is let alone get out and cause a car accident
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-08-2018, 12:02 AM

muddy it has nothing to do with as you say "As a former kennel owner naturally you would not like to see people jeopardising the boarding kennel industry ."
we have no interest in protecting any business or industry only protecting pet owners who are not aware of issues that can arise with home boarding

i never said Dog buddies was illegal or any similar organisation, what I do object to is the lack of information about licences which they skillfully avoid.

For 25 years this has been a bone of contention the way these organisations fail to give all the facts, only what draws customers in

AS long as people are aware about home boarding I/we have absolutely no objections to it. As you say often with older dogs it can be a better option

dog buddies state

Coverage does NOT include:
Any services provided outside of DogBuddy.com
Liability arising out of any products sold or supplied
Veterinary conditions, diseases, illness or old age of the dog
Breach of professional duty or lack of adequate boarding licence
Dog Sitters' properties (including any residents or pets allowed in the premises of the dog sitter)
Dog Sitters' medical expenses (include any person related to the dog sitter)
Visits prior to the start of the service or after the service ends
Accidents while the dog was off the lead in an area where that is not permitted
Pregnancy
Pathology of Congenital disorder
Consequential Damages (non direct) are not guaranteed.

And this is what is so often missed. I wonder what they do actually cover

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top