Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 10:44 PM

Council Tax

It's that time when councils tell us they want more money or make savings. I fleetingly heard on the radio that Cheshire East are asking for votes on upping the council tax by a few pence a week. I think there were 3 choices - so many pence a week or reduced policing and asking for people's thoughts. I know I should check the facts before I post this, but I haven't.

Anyway, my point is why can't councils rethink their rules on council tax. If one lives in a street and has no extensions to their property (not talking conservatories here), why should they pay the same council tax as the folk who have vastly extended their properties and who still pay the same council tax as if it there were no extension/s.
As far as I am aware, the only time the council tax is raised for the extended property is if it is sold.

I'm aware it wouldn't be popular, but it would be fairer, they would make more money and we wouldn't have reduced services!

Or am I talking through my bottom.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 10:57 PM

Re: Council Tax

That's what I used to think where I used live Pesta. Nearly every property had huge extensions. They built on the side of the property, on top of the garges, 2 floor extensions and large conservatories as well, but they didn't pay any extra.

Same as the man next door to me used to laugh because he had a h-u-g-e Koi Carp pond and because he wasn't on metered water he hardly paid anything to keep it running with clear water.
I was told they only drive by in a car to view houses for council tax. They haven't much idea at all of what is out the back of these properties. Don't know if that is true or not?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 11:01 PM

Building extensions Costs money, speculate to accumulate and all that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Building extensions Costs money, speculate to accumulate and all that.

Yes I know that Spitty, but the question was, should they pay more council tax?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 11:08 PM

Of course not, there is a sealing limit, for any property value on any given street, regardless of extensions.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

10-01-2016, 11:09 PM

Extensions make your property sell first, not necessarily for more.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2016, 11:10 PM

Bet you a £1 you've built an extension.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

10-01-2016, 11:13 PM

Two actually.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

10-01-2016, 11:15 PM

When I cut and run, I will be first in the street, in the starting blocks.
Thanks to my HARD WORK, I hasten to add.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Of course not, there is a sealing limit, for any property value on any given street, regardless of extensions.
Not in mine, why should there be a ceiling on tax-bands.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top