Join for free
Page 23 of 23 « First < 13 21 22 23
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 08:59 AM

Re: Bike ride

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear about the nicked Marin mart.....
I think mine was a raleigh, it was leaning against the window of a second hand shop. The bloke had done it up as a work bike but I noticed the the lugs welded to the frame for a derailer and centre pull brakes.

I stripped off the paint to expose chrome forks, re sprayed it, fitted drop handlebars and a derailer, and replaced the cushy seat with a racing one. We have done lots of miles together over the years including a coast to coast.
A double whammy for getting the bike nicked was that I'd just spent a load of money on it. New cogs on the rear wheel, a new chain, brake and gear cables replaced.

I have a collection of bikes here for when the family stays. The trouble is that it looks unlikely that we'll all be riding together again. Even when travel restrictions ease, I have to admit that I probably won't have the same degree of fitness I had when we all could go out together. Going on 77 years old now. The e-bike would give me a boost but it isn't all that suitable for the off-road riding we did.

I'm now asking myself if I should get rid of a couple of bikes. Two of them are good mountain bikes. A Claud Butler and a Trek. I'm not sure I can bring myself to part with them.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A double whammy for getting the bike nicked was that I'd just spent a load of money on it. New cogs on the rear wheel, a new chain, brake and gear cables replaced.

I have a collection of bikes here for when the family stays. The trouble is that it looks unlikely that we'll all be riding together again. Even when travel restrictions ease, I have to admit that I probably won't have the same degree of fitness I had when we all could go out together. Going on 77 years old now. The e-bike would give me a boost but it isn't all that suitable for the off-road riding we did.

I'm now asking myself if I should get rid of a couple of bikes. Two of them are good mountain bikes. A Claud Butler and a Trek. I'm not sure I can bring myself to part with them.
You are not alone Mart. I am 83 and when I recently went on one of my old bikes, I just did not feel comfortable. I only have 3 now. Sold the GT to my next door neighbours son. So I have the Brompton, Muddy fox ATB, and the 20” shopper that I was using to just go up the road rather than taking the car. It is very scruffy but well maintained. It’s looks as if nobody would want steal it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
You are not alone Mart. I am 83 and when I recently went on one of my old bikes, I just did not feel comfortable. I only have 3 now. Sold the GT to my next door neighbours son. So I have the Brompton, Muddy fox ATB, and the 20” shopper that I was using to just go up the road rather than taking the car. It is very scruffy but well maintained. It’s looks as if nobody would want steal it.
You're doing well to still be riding Emjay. My brother was OK up until about 81. Slower than before that age but still riding. I kept telling him he should get an e-bike. I think he wishes he had got one now. I said I wouldn't get one until I was 75 but got it a year earlier than that as it turned out.

I haven't quite given up the idea of riding the Claud Butler again.

My e-bike is quite a smart-looking one and I rarely ride it to places where I have to leave it alone. I'm sure it would be too much of a target for thieves. Mostly used for riding to and from the allotment.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->

You seem to be doing well mart keeping an allotment going and still riding. I would imagine that the allotment is far harder work than the bike...
I'm the same as you, I can't bring myself to part with my bike after all these years, but with roads being as busy as they are, and me being a bit wobbly at times, it's unlikely that I will ride again. I'll keep up the running for as long as I can though, it's not as far to fall....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

16-06-2021, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
...I'll keep up the running for as long as I can though, it's not as far to fall....
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 10:33 AM

Just been doing a few jobs. I was looking at my old 20” shopper. An impulse grabbed me and I took it out and just rode it up and down the road a few times. It felt good, only the knee (port one) moaned a bit.

Page 23 of 23 « First < 13 21 22 23

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top