Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 05:27 PM

Re: Weighing machine

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
AnnieS suggests otherwise. Correctly so.

Correctly so in your opinion.

I was brought up with imperial and will continue to use it.....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
So were we but it wasn't until the dreaded EU (hawk, spit ) forced us to adopt the metric system for weights and measures generally, that most people really became aware of it. I'm happy using both systems but what floors me mentally is converting pounds weight to stones.
Metric was much earlier than the EU. Actually around 1795.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 05:36 PM

Metric was much earlier than the EU. Actually around 1795.
I don't dispute that, it's just that we didn't, as a nation, fully adopt the system until it was forced down our throats. I worked in laboratories and technical engineering roles that demanded my use of metric weights and measures.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Correctly so in your opinion.

I was brought up with imperial and will continue to use it.....
SI is so much easier.
But if you want ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights, tons.....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 05:42 PM

SI is so much easier.
But if you want ounces, pounds, stones, hundredweights, tons.....

As I have said imperial is easy to me,why would I want to change,it’s not as though I’m in a profession where I must use it...then it would obviously change,whereby I would learn the new weights and measurements.

I love change...but in that area I have no need to change.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

29-11-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I don't dispute that, it's just that we didn't, as a nation, fully adopt the system until it was forced down our throats. I worked in laboratories and technical engineering roles that demanded my use of metric weights and measures.
Really? I was using CGS in school science since about age fourteen. Later I used MKS then SI since late teens/early twenties.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 05:47 PM

Really? I was using CGS in school science since about age fourteen. Later I used MKS then SI since late teens/early twenties.
So was I for science subjects from the age of 12 but not some maths for some reason or other.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

29-11-2020, 06:01 PM

As I have said imperial is easy to me,why would I want to change,it’s not as though I’m in a profession where I must use it...then it would obviously change,whereby I would learn the new weights and measurements.

I love change...but in that area I have no need to change.
It's just simpler. Much simpler.
Take a gander at your fridge for example. Brown sauce is metric. Rice bones for my dog is a pack of 18 kg. My camera is metric. And so on.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

29-11-2020, 06:04 PM

It's just simpler. Much simpler.
Take a gander at your fridge for example. Brown sauce is metric. Rice bones for my dog is a pack of 18 kg. My camera is metric. And so on.

Not interested Besoeker,..if my memory serves me well....it was you...who was like a dog with a 🍖......you just couldn’t let it go.
On the last thread about imperial and metric.
I have voiced my opinion and don’t need to force it onto anyone,so I will leave you to it.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

29-11-2020, 06:07 PM

Not interested Besoeker,..if my memory serves me well....it was you...who was like a dog with a 🍖......you just couldn’t let it go.
On the last thread about imperial and metric.
I have voiced my opinion and don’t need to force it onto anyone,so I will leave you to it.
No, you don't have to force it in to anyone. The weights and measures do that for you. Not me.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top