Join for free
Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 08:06 PM

Re: U n b e l i e v a b l e !!

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Whatever for?
They're doing a great job of showing that they're completely useless, even if some of those living in the devolved parts refuse to see it.
I'm sure they are, but they are also abusing their positions. Not only that, they are abusing our money too.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 10:59 PM

You do realise that all this nonsense just proves our point.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
You do realise that all this nonsense just proves our point.
You do realise that the SNP has no point - it's all lies?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 01:59 PM

What I find hard to understand is that the SNP and its supporters' main complaint (apart from hating the English) is that, because the majority of the population in the UK are ‘English, the wishes of the Scottish people are ignored.

Surely it is a known fact that the will of the Minority are always subject to the will of the Majority. We call this Democracy! But this notion that the will of the majority is always England is rubbish. We all, English, Scottish, Welsh and N.I. have just one vote each. London too voted to remain in the EU, so did other counties, Do you see them, as much as they would love to, demanding that because they voted to remain, their vote should be viewed as separate? Of course not, The same with the independence vote. You have every right to whinge about the result all you want, but to attempt to change that? Disgraceful.

The other great puzzle for me is that if, and I say if, Scotland was ever successful in gaining independence and re-joined the EU, why would you ever wish upon your citizens, a smaller minority and less representation than you currently have in the UK? Take the figures below for example.

Population of Scotland in the UK 5.5 million /66 million = 8%

Population of Scotland in the EU 5.5 million / 446 million = 1%

MPs in Westminster 59/650 = 9%

Euro MPs 8/750 = 1%

House of Lords 61/760 = 8%

European Commission 1/28 = 3.5%

Countries in the UK = ¼

Countries in the EU = 1/28

Is that what is construed as Independence for Scotland?
It beggars belief that this is really what the people of Scotland yearn for.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 02:05 PM

Not all of them, no way. Me, I would hate for Scotland to try and rejoin the EU. I also believe if we did get independence then Nicola would have quite a fight on her hands over it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Not all of them, no way. Me, I would hate for Scotland to try and rejoin the EU. I also believe if we did get independence then Nicola would have quite a fight on her hands over it.
She would because the more logical among us know that she is doing nothing more than spinning a web of deceit.
Lies, to be plain and simple.
And these would become more obvious immediately Scotland gains independence.

Other than propaganda I honestly cannot think of one area which the SNP has managed to consistently handle well and in most things they have not just failed, but failed spectacularly.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What I find hard to understand is that the SNP and its supporters' main complaint (apart from hating the English) is that, because the majority of the population in the UK are ‘English, the wishes of the Scottish people are ignored.

Surely it is a known fact that the will of the Minority are always subject to the will of the Majority. We call this Democracy! But this notion that the will of the majority is always England is rubbish. We all, English, Scottish, Welsh and N.I. have just one vote each. London too voted to remain in the EU, so did other counties, Do you see them, as much as they would love to, demanding that because they voted to remain, their vote should be viewed as separate? Of course not, The same with the independence vote. You have every right to whinge about the result all you want, but to attempt to change that? Disgraceful.

The other great puzzle for me is that if, and I say if, Scotland was ever successful in gaining independence and re-joined the EU, why would you ever wish upon your citizens, a smaller minority and less representation than you currently have in the UK? Take the figures below for example.

Population of Scotland in the UK 5.5 million /66 million = 8%

Population of Scotland in the EU 5.5 million / 446 million = 1%

MPs in Westminster 59/650 = 9%

Euro MPs 8/750 = 1%

House of Lords 61/760 = 8%

European Commission 1/28 = 3.5%

Countries in the UK = ¼

Countries in the EU = 1/28

Is that what is construed as Independence for Scotland?
It beggars belief that this is really what the people of Scotland yearn for.
Well explained, SG, as ever.

The SNP come across as being just like naughty children who can't have their own way.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 06:03 PM

Folks getting a bit worked up re Scotland here. Calm down. If Scotland chooses the path of self determination, then it would be up to the people of an independent Scotland to debate whether to apply for EU membership, and a heated debate it may be. Similarly, it would be up to the Scottish people to choose which party they prefer in the general election that would follow independence. No need for you to worry about things you won’t be involved in.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Folks getting a bit worked up re Scotland here. Calm down. If Scotland chooses the path of self determination, then it would be up to the people of an independent Scotland to debate whether to apply for EU membership, and a heated debate it may be. Similarly, it would be up to the Scottish people to choose which party they prefer in the general election that would follow independence. No need for you to worry about things you won’t be involved in.
If anyone thinks that the EU would be willing let alone want to take on a basket case, because that is what an independent Scotland would be, then they need a reality check.

Additionally I would hope that as far as the England/Wales/Ulster group any request to be bailed out by us of the consequences of going it alone by Scotland would be rejected out of hand.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

02-12-2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If anyone thinks that the EU would be willing let alone want to take on a basket case, because that is what an independent Scotland would be, then they need a reality check.

Additionally I would hope that as far as the England/Wales/Ulster group any request to be bailed out by us of the consequences of going it alone by Scotland would be rejected out of hand.
Four points:
- you’re talking hypothetically
- a rant is not an argument
- no point trying to debate with someone with extreme views who won’t listen.
- can’t make up my mind if you’re for real or just like to stir things up

See ya

Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top