Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 04:56 PM

Christmas get together -should we or not

I try so hard to keep positive but today I'm having a bad day mentally. This is the first day I've broken down whilst talking to my niece. I know everyone is in the same boat but that isn't helping my mood today and I need to snap out of it.

I think the longer it goes on the harder it is getting.

Are you managing to hold it together mentally or are you having down days too.

I'm worrying that the government are making a mistake by letting us have Christmas gatherings , will this mean the virus will kick off again. We need to see light at the end of the tunnel and I m scared that this may be a huge setback .

How are you all coping mentally and do you agree with the government that we can get together.

We wont be getting together as a family this year instead we plan on a party with family when life can return to some normality whenever that may be.

I thinkni feel a bit better already sharing my thoughts with you so thanks for 'listening '

Xx
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:07 PM

Re: Christmas get together -should we or not

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I try so hard to keep positive but today I'm having a bad day mentally. This is the first day I've broken down whilst talking to my niece. I know everyone is in the same boat but that isn't helping my mood today and I need to snap out of it.

I'm worrying that the government are making a mistake by letting us have Christmas gatherings , will this mean the virus will kick off again. We need to see light at the end of the tunnel and I m scared that this may be a huge setback .

How are you all coping mentally and do you agree with the government that we can get together.

We wont be getting together as a family this year instead we plan on a party with family when life can return to some normality whenever that may be.

I thinkni feel a bit better already sharing my thoughts with you so thanks for 'listening '

Xx

I think you have your answer there in the hi-lights Queenie.

No point in geting yourself down in the dumps, all that will achieve is to make you feel worse. It is just one day, in the grand scheme of things.

Think further ahead instead, and begin planning the big family party for a little later. Make it a good 'un, a real special one, that will be make it worth waiting for.

I know you can do it.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:08 PM

The weather isn't exactly helping either!!!

At time like this, I tend to remember how the powers that be created a new expressway (A55) along the North Welsh coast to enable people get to places more efficiently. For a town such as Penmaenmawr, which used to be a pleasant holiday spot due to its beaches, this was a complete disaster as the coast road made the place unattractive.

What, I hear you ask, am I on about in the context of this thread?

Well, since we have no idea what the future might bring, there comes a time when one has to consider whether waiting and waiting and waiting for some kind of normality resumes is, in fact, the best option. By definition, the older you get, the less time you have to live. Hence, by the time the vaccine is rolled out and all becomes well in the world, you might be in no physical nor mental state to enjoy it.

Carpe diem.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:13 PM

IMO relaxing the rules on assembly over Christmas is a HUGE mistake. There is no way that we are going to do other than keep the barricades up. For the whole of January NO ONE will cross our threshold. Probably continue well into Feb too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
The weather isn't exactly helping either!!!

At time like this, I tend to remember how the powers that be created a new expressway (A55) along the North Welsh coast to enable people get to places more efficiently. For a town such as Penmaenmawr, which used to be a pleasant holiday spot due to its beaches, this was a complete disaster as the coast road made the place unattractive.

What, I hear you ask, am I on about in the context of this thread?

Well, since we have no idea what the future might bring, there comes a time when one has to consider whether waiting and waiting and waiting for some kind of normality resumes is, in fact, the best option. By definition, the older you get, the less time you have to live. Hence, by the time the vaccine is rolled out and all becomes well in the world, you might be in no physical nor mental state to enjoy it.

Carpe diem.

Not sure your thoughts would cheer me up much, Dex.

But seriously, if everyone says sod it this year, and ignores the rules, I believe it will make it worse again in the new year. We could well take a huge step backwards.

I guess we we all still do what we choose in the end though.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

Xx
I know I should be celebrating being in Tier 1 - and I am definitely relieved - but I feel under threat that when tiers are reviewed every 14 days, we could so easily be back in tier 2 or (god forbid) in tier 3. I really hope we aren't inundated with holiday makers and 2nd home owners who expect to party party!!

To answer LQ's post - I feel I've aged at least ten years since this started both physically and mentally! I just don't seem to have the same mental capacity I used to have and my mood is generally much lower than it used to be. It doesn't help that I've become so disillusioned with our leaders (not that there are many options on that score!), and can't help but think they most certainly won't be getting the Oxford vaccine - they'll be getting the best money can buy, as will their families, friends, relations and anyone who can help with influence, power or money! That's the new face of democracy!

Perhaps we should have a joke -a-day to lift the mood!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:48 PM

I hate to be pessimistic but after Christmas and January usually has the highest number of suicides. I think the figures for these months will rise during this time.

I would rather have the quality of life than the quantity of life. This constant heavy lockdown in places that have the lowest number of cases of Covid is unfair.
People need people, especially those that spend a lot of their time on their own.

Hence, l will make sure l see my children but take precautions.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 05:53 PM

I don't think lockdown should be eased at Christmas. There will be terrible consequences in January.
An exception should be made for people on their own I think.

I'm not bothered about a family get together. I see them all year round anyway.

I'd be quite happy with just a quiet Christmas for Tony & me.
Actually I think he would prefer it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 06:13 PM

Hi

It is a very emotive subject.

I would love to have a social Christmas with family and friends.

However I would never forgive myself if I did and others where infected.

We can have a meetup later.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 06:42 PM

We have already decided that we won’t risk celebrating Christmas with our family this year, no matter what rules will be eased at that time.

However our daughter and SIL have said they will still visit us in the afternoon for a little chat but they will stay on the other side of the garden gate while we stay on the doorstep. That is fine by us all, we’ve come through unscathed this far so a little longer won’t hurt us. 🤞🏻

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top