Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 03:31 PM

The RSPCA Police Force

POWER AND AUTHORITY
“Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

So the RSPCA want to be able to come onto your property without any police presence in order to seize your pet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...vate-property/

When a charity becomes a quasi police force where will it end? Will the RSPCA then demand an increase in power in order to enter your home seize your pets and arrest you?

The organisation wants the new powers despite a cross-party group of MPs publishing a report last November in which the RSPCA was accused of “targeting vulnerable, ill and elderly” people and removing their pets
That's us I suspect ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 04:01 PM

Re: The RSPCA Police Force

Not sure about this Rehab, I haven't got enough information on it yet.

On the surface it MIGHT be a good thing, it'll depend on whether the extra power is used - or abused.

I imagine it could be handy in cases where they know an animal is suffering greatly but the owners have locked up and gone? Or perhaps if cruel owners refuse to let the RSPCA in?

In a life or death situation it could be useful if they could enter rather than have to wait for the police to get their butts into gear?

Not sure about this one yet.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 04:06 PM

The RSPCA, as I understand them, are there to put the welfare of animals before the feelings/needs of their owners. It would not bother me if they did have this power. It would save police time. Many animals suffer through ignorance, inadequacy, wilful neglect or cruelty. IMO it's about time we stopped regarding animals as just property.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
The RSPCA, as I understand them, are there to put the welfare of animals before the feelings/needs of their owners. It would not bother me if they did have this power. It would save police time. Many animals suffer through ignorance, inadequacy, wilful neglect or cruelty. IMO it's about time we stopped regarding animals as just property.
But are you happy with the idea that a charity can enter your home at any time of the day or night if they suspect an animal might be at risk?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

08-07-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not sure about this Rehab, I haven't got enough information on it yet.

On the surface it MIGHT be a good thing, it'll depend on whether the extra power is used - or abused.

I imagine it could be handy in cases where they know an animal is suffering greatly but the owners have locked up and gone? Or perhaps if cruel owners refuse to let the RSPCA in?

In a life or death situation it could be useful if they could enter rather than have to wait for the police to get their butts into gear?

Not sure about this one yet.
What if the there is only a suspicion of harm? This means in effect that a charity with police powers can knock in your door and say, ' I suspect that the animal in your garden has no water, I there demand entrance now in order to confirm my suspicions "

And if you refuse? It's a bit of a can of worms.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 04:19 PM

I would rather the police had a dedicated animal division.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 04:30 PM

First off have you seen their headquarters in Guilford

yes that area is all theirs, both buildings

This is where the money donated towards animal welfare goes

Most expensive part of Surrey down a cal de sac.

They could move to a less expensive area, have small buildings and then their overheads would be a fraction of what they must be paying now

Donate to them? never! smaller animal charities and welfare can do a lot more with the money
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

08-07-2017, 04:33 PM

I believe the argument from m the RSPCA is that there are not enough Police available to help them carry out their 'raids'
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
But are you happy with the idea that a charity can enter your home at any time of the day or night if they suspect an animal might be at risk?
It wouldn't bother me Rehab - charity they may be but they have enough credibility in my view - I don't believe they act without sufficient reason to do so - some of the things they have to deal with are shocking in the extreme as I am sure you know.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
First off have you seen their headquarters in Guilford

yes that area is all theirs, both buildings

This is where the money donated towards animal welfare goes

Most expensive part of Surrey down a cal de sac.

They could move to a less expensive area, have small buildings and then their overheads would be a fraction of what they must be paying now

Donate to them? never! smaller animal charities and welfare can do a lot more with the money

I so agree with this, Bazza.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top