Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 01:49 PM

Pony passports - The mad world we live in.

''Hundreds of Dartmoor ponies being rounded up yesterday in the annual “drift” may have to be shot because of a “Catch 22” in new regulations.

The ponies have to come off the moor to stay within the numbers legally allowed to graze the commons.

Some 200 ponies are then sold through the annual drift sale at Chagford in Devon, which this year is due to take place on October 11.

But under new regulations, which came into force yesterday, ponies that are sold will have to be issued with a full ID document before they can go off to a new home and a future, according to Charlotte Faulkner, who runs the Dartmoor Hill Pony Association.''

I don't agree with selling them off ( I wonder how many end up as dog food) and the idea of them having their photos taken for a passport is ridiculous.

Why can't man just leave things alone. They have just as much right to live on the Moors as we do. In fact, they have been around since 1500BC

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...p-shot-2064101
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Re: Pony passports - The mad world we live in.

I think you are talking about the Dartmoor Hill ponies, the true pedigree Dartmoor ponies are rarely grazed on the open moor now.
The Dartmoor Hill ponies are basically mongrels because man in his wisdom decided to cross them with Shetlands for the pits & later although they tried to improve the strain, it hasn't really worked well.
At one stage they were fetching as little as £1 each. I think there is a lower limit they can be sold at now, but yes, I guess a lot do go for meat. They are trying to sell it here in England too. Not sure how that's working. I for one would never knowingly eat horse, but some people would.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I think you are talking about the Dartmoor Hill ponies, the true pedigree Dartmoor ponies are rarely grazed on the open moor now.
The Dartmoor Hill ponies are basically mongrels because man in his wisdom decided to cross them with Shetlands for the pits & later although they tried to improve the strain, it hasn't really worked well.
At one stage they were fetching as little as £1 each. I think there is a lower limit they can be sold at now, but yes, I guess a lot do go for meat. They are trying to sell it here in England too. Not sure how that's working. I for one would never knowingly eat horse, but some people would.
Yes, sorry, it is the Dartmoor Hill ponies.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 02:38 PM

I would have no problem eating them.
They cannot be left to over graze the moor or eventually they and the deer would starve.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 06:19 AM

The deer won't starve some rich shooting people will come and cull them
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It goes for pet meat .
We keep large numbers of cats and dogs .
I love horses and would not eat horse meat but a cow is everybit as sensitive and intelligent .
What I am concerned about is that the animals are humanely slaughtered .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Surely in the end passports will help with welfare and help stop cruelty etc or am I misunderstanding ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-10-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Surely in the end passports will help with welfare and help stop cruelty etc or am I misunderstanding ?
Possibly but they are having trouble issuing them all in time. Still sounds sill though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Possibly but they are having trouble issuing them all in time. Still sounds sill though.
Perhaps they need to extend the time period then, because it does sound sensible. At the moment it's a bit of a free for all.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Perhaps they need to extend the time period then, because it does sound sensible. At the moment it's a bit of a free for all.
You would think so wouldn't you but that sounds far too simple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top