Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Aching Legs

Over the past several months my legs have been aching
I'm OK for everyday walking, but if I go hiking, especially uphill I get painful aching in my calves, eventually progressing to the rest of my legs
If I stop and rest for a while it clears up a bit, but comes on again with more walking
It takes a few days afterwards to recover

Yes, I know I'm doing exercise but I can tell that this is different to ordinary aches & pains from being unfit

I've Searched t'Net, and I'm fairly certain that I have INTERMITTENT CLAUDICATION, which is narrowing of the arteries in the legs
I haven't had it confirmed yet, but all the symptoms fit, and I have the risk factors - I'm 68, a bit overweight, and have diabetes
I've made a doctor's appointment soon to discuss this
As you might imagine, I'm not very happy about this, and also worried

Has anyone else experienced this, please?
And is it possible to treat or cure this, or at least improve it?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Re: Aching Legs

Could also be vitamin D deficiency it's sounds like my symptoms before I started taking supplements. So don't worry too much until you get a diagnosis.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:54 AM

Thanks

I reckon I eat a fairly good diet anyway, but I know vit D deficiency can give these sort of problems, so I've been taking a daily vit D tablet since about October 2018, with no improvement

I'll carry on taking them, but we'll see what the doc has to say
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:57 AM

I have found Votarol is great for aching muscles, certainly helped me. being lazy i didn't do much walking but with the hols coming soon which requires walking tours I started using it. OK it starts working after a short time ,but having used it for a couple of weeks it I no longer need it.
One of those products for me at least worked
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Down want to put a damper on things Zulu, but as I was reading your post I straightaway thought the same as you - claudication. Get it checked out.

See you GP, get your blood pressure checked, along with your cholesterol, and you may well find they prescribe you take 75 mg junior aspirin to thin your blood a little, or even refer you to a vascular consultant to diagnose properly, and offer advice.

My advice would be - don't ignore it and mess about self-prescribing without knowing what the problem is.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Thanks

I reckon I eat a fairly good diet anyway, but I know vit D deficiency can give these sort of problems, so I've been taking a daily vit D tablet since about October 2018, with no improvement

I'll carry on taking them, but we'll see what the doc has to say
You need calcium and magnesium to make the vitamin D work I found.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You need calcium and magnesium to make the vitamin D work I found.
And sunshine.....
There is a blood pressure test they can do Zuludog where they attach a pad to your ankle as well as your arm to test if there is an imbalance in pressure, worth pointing it out with your doctor if it's restricted arteries in your legs. good luck!..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Have you been prescribed and are you taking any form of statin??? Some statins, usually the cheaper ones can cause lots of lower leg muscle pains.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 08:29 PM

I used to get aching legs and put it down to the high dose statin I was taking. But since starting a largish dose of CoQ10, my legs are much improved.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 10:27 PM

By eck' Zuludog, I never considered statins, I have a few friends and relatives who developed severe calf muscle pains after taking statins. Despite having had two heart attacks I would never take statins.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top