Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Re: Brexit and Britain irrelevant?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The Chinese are easy to deal with, they understand us and the mutual benefits.

They do not offer Bribes either.

A refreshing situation.
The British Peter William Humphrey and his American wife Yu Yingzheng owned Chinawhys, a consulting firm that advises multinationals on, among other things, the susceptibility to fraud and creditworthiness of Chinese business partners. According to sources from Reuters news agency, the agency used to work for GlaxoSmthKline, the British pharmaceutical company that is now under fire in China for alleged bribery of doctors. Money raised by submitting forged expense claims was used to pay doctors in exchange for the purchase of medicines.

The arrest and the Glaxo case further underline the risks that foreign companies run when doing business in China. In recent decades, paying bribes, forging bills and tax evasion have become so intertwined in society in China that they have become the lubricant of the economy.

But now that the new government under the leadership of Xi Jinping seems to want to do more and more to tackle the widespread corruption in the country, it is also becoming wary of foreign companies.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Unfortunately we are way down the list of China’s priorities and to anger into any kind of deal it has already been confirmed that we will have to refuce our standards to allow Indian companies access
Hence the annoyance in the eoropean commission last march 22. May and her request kept the leaders from discussing the proposed reaction to china. A real european issue most leaders think, whereas brexit is becoming a drag.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It hasn't been as simple as that there has been a time line you seem to miss, I imagined stupidly it now seems my MP was being truthful for years and years, then we voted out of EU and I realised how useless and weak our MPs are, didn't take me long then to realise I was lied to all those years. If you look at it over the period it took me to realise 30 years or so then it makes more sense.

I'm not like some who cling to one idea for ever my thinking develops over time and I'm always willing to admit I am wrong or don't know things.

Glad to hear that you have realised that what your MP was telling you about the EU was wrong, even though it took you 30 YEARS.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Yes Ex President who? Almost as gone as Tony Blair. Just pops up to cause trouble.
. . . a bit like yourself, then Ray, you cheeky monkey!
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Well most of us brexiteers don't want to be as we have been, the idea of empires and being a huge power are not what we are interested in. We want to have a simple free trade deal with most people and try to cure the ills in our own country instead of policing the world.

So yes that's all true.
"We want to have a simple free trade deal"
Sorry Julie that is totally Naïve.

We are a small country which is not self sufficient in food, medicines, energy, pretty much most things. We have to trade with other countries to survive. Our main export is financial services but even that is taking a hit with Brexit.

For us to buy or sell anything we have to adhere to certain trading standards which have to be agreed between the two parties. The development of these standards eventually leads to economic unions for example the EEC.

When we do trade deals it comes down to who is the biggest gets to set the standards. That is why the EU (the worlds largest trading block) is dominant.

After we have left the EU we will be desperate for deals with USA, China and India but they are all more interested in deals between themselves or with the EU than with us.

The reality is any deal with these blocks will be worse than what we already have with the EU.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Unsure ->
"We want to have a simple free trade deal"
Sorry Julie that is totally Naïve.

We are a small country which is not self sufficient in food, medicines, energy, pretty much most things. We have to trade with other countries to survive. Our main export is financial services but even that is taking a hit with Brexit.

For us to buy or sell anything we have to adhere to certain trading standards which have to be agreed between the two parties. The development of these standards eventually leads to economic unions for example the EEC.

When we do trade deals it comes down to who is the biggest gets to set the standards. That is why the EU (the worlds largest trading block) is dominant.

After we have left the EU we will be desperate for deals with USA, China and India but they are all more interested in deals between themselves or with the EU than with us.

The reality is any deal with these blocks will be worse than what we already have with the EU.
Our standards are far higher than many countries if they want to sell to us and tbh they'd be daft not to as we are big customers then they have to come up to our standards. I never get why people seem to think we are so powerless as we buy more than we sell that should give us a power many others don't have.

What will cause us problems is people thinking we aren't good enough or we need others to compete. We need people believe in us to negotiate deals.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 01:02 PM

Our standards are far higher than many countries if they want to sell to us and tbh they'd be daft not to as we are big customers then they have to come up to our standards. I never get why people seem to think we are so powerless as we buy more than we sell that should give us a power many others don't have.

What will cause us problems is people thinking we aren't good enough or we need others to compete. We need people believe in us to negotiate deals.

1) We are less powerful on our own, pretty obvious to any one I would have thought.

2) There is a big difference between belief and reality, pretty obvious to any one I would have thought
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
1) We are less powerful on our own, pretty obvious to any one I would have thought.

2) There is a big difference between belief and reality, pretty obvious to any one I would have thought
We shouldn't be powerful we are a small island, what we need to be is fair and willing to buy from around the world. Stop trying to be what we aren't. Other islands around the world don't worry about policing the world or interfering in other countries so neither should we.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by itsme ->

Itsme everything is obvious to you,
Obviously you are superior
We know we are citizens of a declining nation
We dont want to be powerful
We know most of our problems have been caused by our(elites)
I use the term reluctantly
We are now getting, pretty pissed of with all of you lot.
You asked us for guidance's
We told you our opinion & voted
You concurred with our view and promised to execute it
You then proceeded to throw up a smokescreen of confusion
And fearmonger!into and denigration to cover up your
actions
I could continu ad. infinitum
But l don't think you would read it
Because lts me. You are one of them.

WTF,. Donkeyman.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

26-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Our standards are far higher than many countries if they want to sell to us and tbh they'd be daft not to as we are big customers then they have to come up to our standards.
Your standards are the EU standards. These EU standards banish the sale/import of usa products(among others the infamous chickens).
Therefore the american presidents demands that the UK postbrexit let go of EU standards and employ lower standards so america can flood the UK with low grade foods.
The point is, being a small party, the UK has to conform to bigger party's demands to be able to sell AND buy. Being in the EU you wouldn't have to kneel but could negotiate at eye level.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top