Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Damned Cold Callers.

Now I've heard it all!

Doorbell rings.......... Door answered.............. There stood a stranger who needed a shave.

"Good morning Sir", he says, touching his ID tag around his neck.

"Can you not read", says I, indicating the No Cold Callers sign displayed prominently at eye level.

"I'm not a cold caller", says he. "I'm a professional communicator".

"Do I know you"?, says I.

"No", says he.

"Did I ask you to call"?, says I.

"No", says he.

"Then you're a cold caller", says I, closing the door.

So much for his professional communication.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Re: Damned Cold Callers.

So that's how you get rid of them ...... thank you Fogey, I'll take a leaf out of your book!

"Professional communicator"...... that's a new one on me!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 02:15 PM

Good one Fogey
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Brilliant ! We are lucky here it's rare anyone knocks the door, if they get through the security door downstairs 9/10 are too lazy to walk up the stairs to us.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

17-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Apart from on one occasion, cold callers have respected my 'No cold callers, thank you' notice. Our road was infested by JWs this morning to whom I have a particular aversion. They put a leaflet through the door but didn't ring the bell. I was watching the Thatcher funeral so would have been more irritated than usual at being disturbed!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Generally, I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 03:09 PM

I don't mind JW's generally they are really nice people who just want to share their beliefs with you, if you know your own mind they are fine and as I am always sure what I believe anyway they don't do any harm. At least they aren't after your money !
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Well done, Jeff.
Professional communicator indeed! Didn't have the gift of the gab, did he?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Good for you Jeff, I'm a sucker for these callers, that's why the wife nearly always answers the front door, I always listen politely while they babble on, haven't the heart to tell them to p**s off, but one of these days I might crack up and God help whoever is at the door, do they know the risks they are taking?.
Just to show you what I mean. We had a very nice fella working with us back in the 60's, he was from Germany and with us for eight years, he was a model worker, quiet and very helpful to the apprentices, he just sat at his bench, did the work and had a smile for everyone, at the teabreak he always had a rock bun with his tea, one day the tea boy told him the the bakery had stopped making rock buns (I kid you not) and yerman went berserk, overturning benches and tables and generally wrecking the workshop, four policemen it took to subdue him and take him away...he just cracked up and we never heard of him again, to this day I don't know whether it was over the rock bun or problems he had building up inside him.
I'm not saying that I personally would go berserk but then you can never be sure how the mind works under pressure, there are some out there who just might fly off the handle if they are not having the best of days, cold callers beware.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Gosh that's scary Jem but as you say who knows what is going on in people's minds.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top