Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
mari41
Wynyard. Tasmania
mari41 is female  mari41 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 02:10 AM

Re: Damned Cold Callers.

Originally Posted by eccles ->
They may be liable for prosecution if they ignore a sign and refuse to leave - but not necessarily. Still, it does sometimes deter these nuisances. It's certainly not illegal to knock where there's a sign!
You are probably right but they seem to work non the less. I was just stating what I have heard on the radio here.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Last year at the London 50+ Show I made the mistake of putting my contact details on many forms of exhibitors: some were offering competitions as incentive. One such company was a well known financial adviser (often in the newspapers). They offered a free will writing consultation and I was later contacted to make an appointment. However, I subsequently cancelled as my mother had died, I was busy with her estate and grieving, and hadn't yet sorted out my own personal finances in regards to my own estate.

Time and time again that company called me, wanting to make another appointment, or just to talk to me, and once I said you can call me, but I won' change my mind.

This evening they called yet again! I politely said this isn't a convenient time and anyway I said I didn't want your company calling me again. No? He asked. No! I replied, thank you, goodbye.

Another nuisance caller has been Consumer Lifestyle. I am reeeeeelly losing my temper with them! I've decided that if they try yet again I will threaten to have them done for harassment.

No matter that I tell these companies I've registered with the TPS, they still persist. I must remember to use the 'then you're a cold caller' spiel.
If I get those sort of calls, I just say "Hello", ( if it's a recorded one it will start when you speak) then I just leave the phone & walk away, they have to pay for the call for as long as they're on it. Also if you ask a "human" where they got your number from , it's ex-directory and on telephone preference they hang up.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I have to say that much to my dismay, after much discussion, JW's usually make an excuse to leave.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Mrs. P. once answered the door to a couple of Mormons, who asked "Good morning good lady, would you mind if we stand here and speak about God", to which she replied "Why certainly you may, and you take just as long as you like over it", then promptly closed the door and left them to it....
Very good
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
If I get those sort of calls, I just say "Hello", ( if it's a recorded one it will start when you speak) then I just leave the phone & walk away, they have to pay for the call for as long as they're on it. Also if you ask a "human" where they got your number from , it's ex-directory and on telephone preference they hang up.
Those computer ones drive me up the wall - I get about three a day and now I rarely answer the house phone; anyone that knows me knows to ring my mobile instead. I'm on the list for barring those calls but still they get through. Then I changed my phone number and went ex-directory and still they get through - how? You can't rant at a machine so how the heck do you stop them? I'm even now thinking about having the house phone disconnected as I'm paying for something I no longer use!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2013, 09:20 AM

There has been a letter lying on the floor in my hallway for the past two weeks which I have been unable to pick up, it says "Do Not Bend" on the envelope.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Those computer ones drive me up the wall - I get about three a day and now I rarely answer the house phone; anyone that knows me knows to ring my mobile instead. I'm on the list for barring those calls but still they get through. Then I changed my phone number and went ex-directory and still they get through - how? You can't rant at a machine so how the heck do you stop them? I'm even now thinking about having the house phone disconnected as I'm paying for something I no longer use!
When you changed your phone number did you by any chance give the new one to your Bank? They are Blighters for selling their Customers phone numbers to other companies.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
When you changed your phone number did you by any chance give the new one to your Bank? They are Blighters for selling their Customers phone numbers to other companies.
The bank! That may explain some things.... thanks.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yes I did Roxy - I hadn't thought of them. It should be illegal to pass on people phone numbers without permission. I think there is a lot more of this selling our private information than is admitted to. I was diagnosed with a thyroid tumour about 12 years ago and the only people who knew that fact was the medical profession - a few weeks after my op, I started getting letters about cancer and donating money for research! that one I blew a gasket over; it really shouldn't be allowed.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 04:06 PM

My son made me howl the other evening. Our house 'phone rang, something which does not happen very often as we do not give it out (so surprising really where these people get it), he answered and seemed to be on for quite a while. All I heard of course was his side of the conversation, which consisted of comments such as 'really?' and 'that's very interesting' and so on. Anyway after about ten minutes, maybe more, he eventually said "Can I just ask, would this offer be affected by the fact that this is a Housing Association Property and is on the third floor of a block of flats?"

The guy apparently did not even respond, simply hung up. Well he was trying to flog conservatories.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top