Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:10 AM

It's.

St. George's day. Have a nice one.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Re: It's.

Yes, if I still lived in Brum, I'd have been busy organising a street party
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Happy St George's Day to all who celebrate it
Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Happy St Georges Day folks, the flag is flying. I never forget the date; it was my first day at work in 1957. Lucky me, I was never unemployed in 50 years.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 11:22 AM

People why should we celebrate a Romano-Turkish Centurion soldier who, by all accounts was a reprobate and was only chosen to be 'our' saint by the Catholic church??? 'He never knew anything about England, let alone visiting the place. We' had no say in the choice of 'our' saint whatsoever. I'm sure we can find a more suitable person to represent 'us'.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Because it is purely symbolic Joe! I doubt whether more than a handful of people in England know or care whether George even existed, let alone what his background was (born in Palestine of Greek parents, joined the Roman army and later tortured and killed because he wouldn't renounce his christianity).
I'm sure we could find a more appropriate "patron" for the nation, but any such choice would cause serious divisions. At least St. George is so historically remote that no-one really cares about him as an individual. Personally Bouddicca or Wat Tyler would be my choices, but I'm sure many would disagree.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Happy St George's Day!

Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 01:14 PM

St George was adopted as patron saint of England in the 13th century; The flag became the official status of England in the 16th century. The reasons may be debatable, but it has stuck over many centuries. So why make a fuss, nothings perfect, I like the name and the flag, am I bovered.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Because it is purely symbolic Joe! I doubt whether more than a handful of people in England know or care whether George even existed, let alone what his background was (born in Palestine of Greek parents, joined the Roman army and later tortured and killed because he wouldn't renounce his christianity).
I'm sure we could find a more appropriate "patron" for the nation, but any such choice would cause serious divisions. At least St. George is so historically remote that no-one really cares about him as an individual. Personally Bouddicca or Wat Tyler would be my choices, but I'm sure many would disagree.
Mick matey - I think Thomas Paine would make a suitable alternative.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
People why should we celebrate a Romano-Turkish Centurion soldier who, by all accounts was a reprobate and was only chosen to be 'our' saint by the Catholic church??? 'He never knew anything about England, let alone visiting the place. We' had no say in the choice of 'our' saint whatsoever. I'm sure we can find a more suitable person to represent 'us'.

How about St. Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top