Join for free
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

25-04-2013, 03:50 AM

Anzac day

ANZAC day has become a very significant day of remembrance and prayers for all service men and women fighting for our countries. Rightly or wrongly we fight for freedom and democracy throughout the world - I don't believe we are just fighting for OZ and NZ as we weren't so many years ago.

This tradition is not dying - far from it - it is getting larger and children are being taught it's significance in our schools and celebrating our victories on the streets of OZ and NZ.

We may not always get it absolutely right but anything that opposes oppression and lack of freedom must be right.

Well wishes to all our democracies around the world
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Re: Anzac day

Two of my sons are marching today one with his recently awarded Active Service medal and his Afghanistan Service medal.

My son in law is currently in Afghanistan at the moment as a civilkian with the Defence Department. Our thoughts are with him.

Lest We Forget.

(I would remind you Mindbender that ANZAC Day is actually remembering a defeat and a tragedy not a victory - far more appropriate that the flag waving jingoism associated with victories)
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Its more than the UK does ... if it wasnt for poppy day you would hardly hear about our hero's at all ... I dont have kids but I would doubt its taught in schools ... and the only time you see them at poppy days is if its going to be on telly
mindbender
mindbender is male 

25-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Two of my sons are marching today one with his recently awarded Active Service medal and his Afghanistan Service medal.

My son in law is currently in Afghanistan at the moment as a civilkian with the Defence Department. Our thoughts are with him.

Lest We Forget.

(I would remind you Mindbender that ANZAC Day is actually remembering a defeat and a tragedy not a victory - far more appropriate that the flag waving jingoism associated with victories)

yes I realize the significance of what Churchill did!
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2013, 09:44 AM

I remember a fantastic TV programme called The ANZACs. It was of course about the soldiers of Oz and NZ. Dont know if anyone can remember it. My sons learnt about the First and Second WW at school. Mind you they are getting older so dont know if they still do teach the War History in schools in Blighty nowadays. Mind you I have always told my sons about the Wars being born just after the second one. Both my Grandads were at Paschendale, The Somme etc so had real life to tell them about it. My Dad and Uncle were in the Second WW and away from home for 6 years. Hope the war in Afghanistan is soon over but I fear for the women and children there when the troops go home. I would be one of the first women to be bumped off with my ideas on life and equality.
Didnt get to my age without an opinion.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Bless 'Em All......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Long may there sacrifice be remembered....

mindbender
mindbender is male 

26-04-2013, 12:55 AM

three cheers for Sutton Veny - - thanks to the village children ANZAC will never be forgotten in this part of UK

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top