Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 04:54 PM

At your convenience

All the public conveniences have gone from here, years ago. Back in the 1950s & early 1960s there were loads of them and some of them were quite grand. Ornate little buildings, brick built with high ceilings. Excellent ceramic ware with full height privacy guards between each stall. There would be glossy painted ironworks , pillars & ball & claw ornamental pillars on the panels between the cubicles.
The admission charge of a penny was not expensive, but inconvenient if you hadn’t a coin of that denomination.
When I worked in the town centre there was a rather grand facility at the terminus bus stop. It was subterranean. This premises had the luxury of an assistant, lurking in a little office next to the stairway. Sometimes he might make light conversation , in a non threatening way next to the enigmatic sign offering a wash & brush up for half a crown.
“Nice out today innit guv”.

As the years passed the whole place went downhill and the convenience became a hub for other activities, drugs, homeless people, indecent behaviour.
I came across the attendant years after he retired and he confided in me that in the end if someone came in for a crap it was like a breath of fresh air.

There was an interesting post script to this bit of local history. The site was acquired by a poster company who planned to erect a huge hoarding on this corner site but when they demolished the building they discovered the Victorian workers who put up the building had vandalised a unique Anglo-Saxon burial plot directly below. The site immediately had a preservation order put on it which prevailed for years until the poster company eventually gave up the fight and very sportingly paid for the site to become a lovely scented garden.

How’s that for a happy ending?
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 05:42 PM

Re: At your convenience

Must be an English thing then because here in the valleys every village has access to at least one public loo, usually with attendant, and most towns have more than one. They are always clean and fresh, and never pong (unlike ones in England I have used in the past).

I read recently that this lack of facilities had led some Councils to set up a scheme by which shops/pubs/caffs could display a sign to show that they were willing for the public to use their loo's.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 05:51 PM

The site immediately had a preservation order put on it which prevailed for years until the poster company eventually gave up the fight and very sportingly paid for the site to become a lovely scented garden.
That is a nice ending Robert. A lot of restaurants here post signs advising that the washrooms are for customers only.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:01 PM

thats right but at the buss station and trian station you do not pay
when we came to canada was a nice change not to have to pay to use the looo
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
thats right but at the buss station and trian station you do not pay
when we came to canada was a nice change not to have to pay to use the looo
They did try charging for a while in Toronto, Ann. I remember when we paid a dime to use the washrooms at Union Station. Some kids would just dive under the door to get in free, and if someone held the door open for you as they came out you could get in without paying.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Daisymay you found a public loo, where do tell, I'll go and visit I've not seen one for donkeys years.
Gents toilets where I grew up always seemed to be underground, don't know why.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:24 PM

There are still free public loos along the seafront at Weston-Super-Mare
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 11:05 AM

That is a lovely story Robert - what a great outcome

We have an abundance of public loos and all quite clean and taken care of - if a bit dated though.

The worst I've encountered is Spain - public toilets tend to be in the large supermarkets and the only other option is to use the cafes but, of course, a purchase is necessary beforehand.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 02:24 PM

They have all disappeared from the centre of Dublin, mostly because of drug dealing and sexual activities, shame really.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Supermarkets and garden centres usually have loos we find, free parking too.

Sadly I am usually tempted to buy something but no purchase necessary really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top