Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 06:58 PM

Scrooge

Do know of a present day scrooge or have one in your life?

We know a couple , who were invited to Son"s house for Christmas with his wife and their GG and some relatives , to all have a good old jolly.
He, decided to stay at home to get on with non urgent DIY and have some pork scratchings and toast for lunch .
I could not believe it TBH, still it takes all sorts , they seem a fairly normal couple otherwise.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 07:03 PM

Re: Scrooge

Nothing wrong about not wanting to join in with the mass hysteria that is Christmas, shame not to see the kids though, I certainly wouldn't pass up the chance..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 07:28 PM

Yes Apricot - the couple that sent me a notelet for Christmas

Me SIL was a Scroogette - they certainly pile up the money though .................
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 07:42 PM

I must nominate my father-and he was consistent at least-he never let Christmas get in the way of being a mean heartless swine.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 07:49 PM

My best mate says he is a Pagan, im convinced its so he does not have to give prezzies. He likes getting them though.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 07:59 PM

I hate tight arsed people, and those I did know I gave them a wide berth long ago, best thing I ever did.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
My best mate says he is a Pagan, im convinced its so he does not have to give prezzies. He likes getting them though.
But according to my (admittedly basic) knowledge and understanding, Christmas is a Pagan festival anyway, and it was taken over by early Christians to suit their purposes

As I've posted before, I am an atheist, but I enjoy and go along with the traditions of Christmas, while trying to avoid the more religious aspects
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 10:23 AM

Strangely enough, I have never enjoyed Christmas and, as I got older I disliked the noise and the jolly parties more and more, so I don't find the man who stayed home to do DIY strange.
I cannot find a reason why I dislike Christmas, because I am a social person during the rest of the year, but I wonder if it is the expectation for everyone to be Jolly. Over the years I have lost my father, mother and older sister, within 2 weeks of Christmas so, for me, it isn't a time to be jolly. If I knew anyone who was having to spend Christmas alone though, I would happily have them round to share our dinner, a drink and our company and that would make me happier than any party?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 10:28 AM

I think my dad was a bit of a Scrooge he hated giving pressies and would not even open his own in front of us so we could enjoy giving. When he died we found 40 odd years of unopened gifts behind his wardrobe, such a shame he could have enjoyed them with his family if he could have just brought himself to.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 11:41 AM

While I'm not a Scrooge in terms of giving gifts, maybe I am in other ways with respect to Christmas. I have told friends who ask me to join them for Christmas that I don't 'do' Christmas. I would be uncomfortable and am much happier doing my own thing with my mutt.
Patsy - I don't think the notelet thing is so bad. At least they are sending you Christmas greetings. I send very few cards, and often make them from my photos. Is that Scrooge-like too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top