Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2016, 10:22 PM

Christmas Plants

I always have to buy a few pots of Hyacinths for indoors at this time of year as I just love the smell of them in the room...do you buy any special plants for Xmas like Pointsettia or Christmas Cactus?
The pot of hyacinths I have atm has 7 Hyacinths growing in it so will be lovely when they all bloom
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2016, 10:56 PM

Re: Christmas Plants

Hyacinths do smell gorgeous, Aysa.
I used to get given a Poinsettia every year, back along, but the friend passed on, so I don't get them now.
I have an African Violet which was my late Mother's, it is still flowering many years after she died, Daughter says it's Nan keeping an eye on us. It has lasted a very long time, with very little care, which is amazing as pot plants usually die on me.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010052(1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2460  
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2016, 11:50 PM

I love hyacinths, I have a Xmas cactus but it flowered in November, I may treat myself to some hyacinths now you've reminded me!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2016, 11:54 PM

I love them TessA ...here are some I had the other year

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 12:50 AM

Like Tiffany, I too, have got an African Violet that was Mum's, it is a purple and white striped one.
I also have a cutting of Mum's huge Christmas cactus which has just flowered too. I used to also buy her bowls of Hyacinths every year which she loved, so I have planted some on her grave for her and like to think she will see them next spring.

I don't like Pointsettias, never have done much.
I believe the leaves are toxic to dogs as well, and seeing as they can drop their leaves quite easily, I wouldn't have them anyway.

I do like the Amaryllis though. Only thing is with them, I have never been able to get them to flower the following year as an indoor pot plant.
I have about 7 of the miniature bulbs that grow to about a foot high starting off at the moment, they were beautiful last year and I shall be overjoyed if any flower this time, but I bet they don't.
I water and feed them and really look after them, but as yet, have never got any back into flower. Most frustrating.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 01:13 AM

I could never get an Amaryllis to flower more than once either.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I always have to buy a few pots of Hyacinths for indoors at this time of year as I just love the smell of them in the room...do you buy any special plants for Xmas like Pointsettia or Christmas Cactus?
The pot of hyacinths I have atm has 7 Hyacinths growing in it so will be lovely when they all bloom
For years I have bought and planted NSW Christmas Bushes but for the same number of years they have died.

Also I have not seen a swarm of Christmas beetles for years and I miss the buggers

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Just an amyrilis but it's going mad, it's supposed to be one single stem and has put up two 18 inch stems and another just breaking through ! If it flowers could be spectacular.
Can't have poinsettia with the dogs and hyacinth tend to be all leaf no flower when we've done them.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

19-12-2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
For years I have bought and planted NSW Christmas Bushes but for the same number of years they have died.

Also I have not seen a swarm of Christmas beetles for years and I miss the buggers

What are those, Bruce?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Couldn't find any hyacinths in the shops today!
( I blame Brexit)
However, my two orchids seem to be sprouting leaves!
I thought I'd killed them!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top