Join for free
Page 368 of 505 « First < 268 318 358 366 367 368 369 370 378 418 468 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 10:37 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You are really desperate to find excuses for your government aren't you? As I said I really don't understand why.

The reason the flu is more prevalent in winter is thought to be because people in cold climates stay indoors with the windows shut providing close the contact to easily spread the virus.

Temperature is clearly not such a factor for the virus survival because it survives well in the human body at 37° (doh!) far higher than the average temperature of say, Malaysia, of 32°.
Not at all Brucie, there are many reasons why we have had so many deaths and infections as opposed to Australia, Malaysia and Singapore. The main one being that England is an overpopulated and dysfunctional society. The NHS was never designed to deal with so many people, and because it has failed to keep up with demand. The road networks, schools and utilities are seriously over subscribed to. Australia by comparison is a relatively new society; Hell! we've got people older than Australia, and most of them occupy the house of Lords....

But in order to defeat a virus we need to look at how it spreads from one person to another, and what factors are unfavourable for its continuance. We will not do this by criticising the government, I'm sure they [Boris] is/are doing everything in their power to bring it to a conclusion and still have a society left afterwards. Not everyone will agree with his methods, but he's all we've got at the moment.

So I look at all the facts and possibilities to prevent me and my loved ones from contracting this deadly virus, and I believe that geography; The way a countries populations are spread out i.e. mountains and lakes where even in a large country with less people per square mile they may be grouped into a small area (Italy for example) and the outback in Australia where the major town and cities are mainly situated around the edges, making isolating easier. Climate could also be a limiting factor in the spread of Covid19. But we should rule nothing out because there is conflicting information wherever you look. While you Bruce, seem more concerned with the political side of the issue.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I'm not sure when it happened, but at some time - probably following some Tory Government bill - consultants employed by the NHS were able to leave one day and return the next to the same job at a massively increased salary.........with benefits!!!!
Sounds believable.
Though if valuable skills are in demand, they will be rewarded.

After all, they could go to America and earn a great deal more.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Not at all Brucie, there are many reasons why we have had so many deaths and infections as opposed to Australia, Malaysia and Singapore. The main one being that England is an overpopulated and dysfunctional society. The NHS was never designed to deal with so many people, and because it has failed to keep up with demand. The road networks, schools and utilities are seriously over subscribed to. Australia by comparison is a relatively new society; Hell! we've got people older than Australia, and most of them occupy the house of Lords....

But in order to defeat a virus we need to look at how it spreads from one person to another, and what factors are unfavourable for its continuance. We will not do this by criticising the government, I'm sure they [Boris] is/are doing everything in their power to bring it to a conclusion and still have a society left afterwards. Not everyone will agree with his methods, but he's all we've got at the moment.

So I look at all the facts and possibilities to prevent me and my loved ones from contracting this deadly virus, and I believe that geography; The way a countries populations are spread out i.e. mountains and lakes where even in a large country with less people per square mile they may be grouped into a small area (Italy for example) and the outback in Australia where the major town and cities are mainly situated around the edges, making isolating easier. Climate could also be a limiting factor in the spread of Covid19. But we should rule nothing out because there is conflicting information wherever you look. While you Bruce, seem more concerned with the political side of the issue.
Exactly. Overpopulated and dysfunctional.

I can compare how this country was in the 1950s and '60s to what it is today and can see so many problems that never existed then, and that was without doubt caused by the enormous increase in population and the concomitant drop in the standards in our society as a whole.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 11:45 AM

I watched an interesting program about the Spanish Flu, some of the parallels with the current pandemic were thought provoking. Most of the program was about the effects of the disease in Australia but there were two things that were interesting and which I didn't know.

Firstly the disease probably originated in Kansas in the USA and was brought by US troops to Europe.

Secondly that the slowing of the transmission of the disease also reduced it potency, I wonder if that is true of Covid19?

https://www.abc.net.au/austory/lest-we-forget/12297630

It's on Youtube but I am not sure if it has geographic restrictions

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2020, 05:34 AM

Global Cases 6,370,499
Global Deaths 377,515

Australia
Cases 7,221
Deaths 103
Critical 4
Cases per Million 283

UK
Cases 276,332
Deaths 39,045
Critical 1,559
Cases per Million 4,072

USA
Cases 1,859,323
Deaths 106,925
Critical 16,949
Cases per Million 5,620

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I think the death figure for Australia should be 102 (not sure)

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has apologised to the family of a Central Queensland man whose death was wrongly attributed to COVID-19.

Her apology has come after confirmation Blackwater man, Nathan Turner, did not die of coronavirus, igniting an angry backlash among residents of the tight-knit central Queensland community.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...water/12308080
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

03-06-2020, 05:31 AM

Global Cases 6,452,390
Global Deaths 382,479

Australia
Cases 7,229
Deaths 102
Critical 5
Cases per Million 284

UK
Cases 277,985
Deaths 39,369
Critical 1,559
Cases per Million 4,097

USA
Cases 1,881,205
Deaths 108,059
Critical 17,114
Cases per Million 5,686

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Bad News

GDP figures from the Bureau of Statistics show Australia's economy shrank 0.3 per cent in the March quarter, amid bushfires and the early stages of the coronavirus pandemic.

This makes it certain that Australia will suffer its first recession in 29 years, as the full impact of coronavirus-related shutdowns occurred during the current June quarter.

Some Good News

NSW has reached a major coronavirus milestone, with no new locally-transmitted infections recorded in a week for the first time since the pandemic began.

A total of 15 new coronavirus infections have been recorded since last Tuesday, but all have been found in people who have returned from overseas and are in hotel quarantine.

From Saturday, June 13 class sizes at indoor fitness activities will be capped at 10 people, while the maximum of 100 people will be allowed in large gyms.

Indoor pools and saunas, as well as tattoo and massage parlours will be allowed to reopen from the same date, with restricted numbers.

Dance classes will be able to open from June 13, but again, numbers will be capped.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 05:51 AM

Hi

Unfortunately the UK has not done well in this Pandemic.

There are lots of reasons why, some historical, some current.

It has shown up major flaws in our systems, both Political and Administrative.

There is a distinct possibilty that we will learn nothing from this, the blame game is starting big time.

We need a lead from the top, we are not getting it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Unfortunately the UK has not done well in this Pandemic.

There are lots of reasons why, some historical, some current.

It has shown up major flaws in our systems, both Political and Administrative.

There is a distinct possibilty that we will learn nothing from this, the blame game is starting big time.

We need a lead from the top, we are not getting it.
You've not mentioned that before Swim....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 11:55 AM

I watched an interesting program about the Spanish Flu, some of the parallels with the current pandemic were thought provoking. Most of the program was about the effects of the disease in Australia but there were two things that were interesting and which I didn't know.

Firstly the disease probably originated in Kansas in the USA and was brought by US troops to Europe.

Secondly that the slowing of the transmission of the disease also reduced it potency, I wonder if that is true of Covid19?

https://www.abc.net.au/austory/lest-we-forget/12297630

It's on Youtube but I am not sure if it has geographic restrictions

What was the population of ozzie in 1919 Brucy? Just out of
interest, not making a point or anything!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2020, 12:07 PM

Interesting to look back at where we have been:

A month ago...

1st May

Three months ago...
Who could have guessed then how this would turn out?

1st March

I wonder what will be the situation for us all in another three months time?
We must never forget that the mortality rate is per number of
infections and not per total world population??
I think some people confuse the two Brucy??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 368 of 505 « First < 268 318 358 366 367 368 369 370 378 418 468 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top