Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 08:46 PM

Reading books - v- audio books?

did some reading a few months ago after a long respite - I read for work - often speed reading which I always thought spoiled the pleasure of comfort reading. just looking at audio books atm - there is of course a difference and maybe that first skill of reading to yourself is still the best - it is really in YOUR voice - two chairs - you reading to you - maybe that is always the best - never tried e-reading so not sure if I could handle that one?

One of my favorite books is "old Filth" by Jane Gardam - I think she came runner up in some international review for that - fascinating book but lost my copy - I hate losing books!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 08:55 PM

Re: Reading books - v- audio books?

I dread to think I could lose my sight and not be able to read. I love reading.
The thought of audio books, whilst fantastic for those who for one reason or another can't read a paper copy, I just know I wouldn't be able to get into.
I'd probably focus too much on accents and phraseology or something rather than the story.

I bumped into a lady recently, who was the mother of one of my daughter's friends in school. They live abroad now. She used to be a teacher here and is now a voice reading audio books. She loves it too.
Thinking about it, she has a lovely soft voice, well spoken too, so I think I'd probably enjoy her readings.

But there again....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 08:59 PM

imagine having to read in braille?...........but people do it!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
imagine having to read in braille?...........but people do it!
Yes, I used to do a little braille. This is true - my blind piano teacher had the machine and used to let me have a go when I went to her house. It was a bugga trying to 'read' it though.

After the piano lesson we had tea and cake with her sister and husband, who were also blind, plus the sighted son. The braille machine came out on those occasions

Gosh that's some years ago too.... early 60s
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:28 PM

I love to curl up on the sofa with a good book, a glass of wine and the cats - but - I also appreciate audio books. I use them a lot when I am jewellery making or card making.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

21-08-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I love to curl up on the sofa with a good book, a glass of wine and the cats - but - I also appreciate audio books. I use them a lot when I am jewellery making or card making.
ah so ST - how do you compare the two and switch from one to the other - is it difficult ? and can I curl up sometimes?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
ah so ST - how do you compare the two and switch from one to the other - is it difficult ? and can I curl up sometimes?
I like both, Gummy. Would read for preference as it is so relaxing but do like to have audio books on hand when I am crafting. I only buy the 'unabridged' versions so I do not miss out on the story at all. My favourite UK readers are Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry, Hannah Gordon and Geraldine Jams. For American audio books I like Michael Brandon, and Lorelie King.

Once came seriously unstuck with Michael Connelly's "The Drop" audio book though - had read and enjoyed it so bought the audio version for the Craft Room library - it was read by Len Cariou - he either had a speech impediment or an extremely bad cold as he snuffled his way through it - stopped it after the second disc - couldn't stand it !!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 06:42 AM

I listen to audio books when I am on long drives in the bush. I have an almost complete set of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels as MP3s.

At the public library now a good number of the audio books are MP3s and designed to be copied for listening to in your car - it says so on the case - even the librarian pointed this out to me.

However I still carry my Sony eReader where ever I travel because reading is such a pleasure.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:02 PM

I think l must read quite quickly or something because the two times I hsve tried audio books I found the voice reading was infuriatingly slow. I couldn't stand it at all. Perhaps it does make a difference who the reader is and I stumbled upon two duffers...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I listen to audio books when I am on long drives in the bush. I have an almost complete set of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels as MP3s.

At the public library now a good number of the audio books are MP3s and designed to be copied for listening to in your car - it says so on the case - even the librarian pointed this out to me.

However I still carry my Sony eReader where ever I travel because reading is such a pleasure.
I have Terry Pratchett audio books in CDs, not all but a lot. Some read by Stephen Briggs, unabridged, but most by Tony Robinson abridged.
I also have Ann McCaffrey audio CD's, the few of hers I have are unabridged.
Both authors are my favourites & I wouldn't buy audio books by anyone else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top