Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 11:17 AM

50,000-year-old string found at France Neanderthal site

A piece of 50,000-year-old string - the oldest yet discovered - found in a cave in France has cast further doubt on the idea that Neanderthals were cognitively inferior to modern humans.

A study published in Scientific Reports said a tiny, three-ply cord fragment made from bark was spotted on a stone tool recovered from the Abri du Maras.

The cord, believed to have been made with the inner bark of a conifer tree, was approximately 6.2mm long and 0.5mm wide.

Three groups of fibres were separated and twisted clockwise in an "S-twist". Once twisted, the strands were twined anti-clockwise in "Z-twist" to form a cord.

It implies that Neanderthals understood concepts like pairs, sets and numbers.

Twisted fibres provide the basis for clothes, bags, nets and even boats.

Neanderthals - whose species died out about 40,000 years ago - are already known to have made birch bark tar, art and shell beads.

They also controlled fire, lived in shelters, were skilled hunters of large animals and deliberately buried their dead in graves.
Fascinating .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 12:13 PM

Re: 50,000-year-old string found at France Neanderthal site

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Fascinating .....
Well, they had to tie their white flags up with something.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 12:37 PM

Did you ever read The Clan Of The Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. It was the first in the series. It was about Neanderthals & their life style, no idea if it was accurate for historic content, but it did seem so. I think this & the second book were the best.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Did you ever read The Clan Of The Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. It was the first in the series. It was about Neanderthals & their life style, no idea if it was accurate for historic content, but it did seem so. I think this & the second book were the best.
I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie:

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-I-wa...Cave-Bear-1986

It was entirely unbelieveable but Daryl Hannal was gorgeous .....

bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 01:27 PM

The Clan of the Cave Bear was written and designed entirely as a politically correct book. The movie was ridiculous.

Daryl Hanna as our heroine ? Give me a break ! She certainly looked more like this. And, her legs and armpits would have been hairy.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	neanderthal-updated.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	12276  
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 01:34 PM

I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie:

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-I-wa...Cave-Bear-1986

It was entirely unbelieveable but Daryl Hannal was gorgeous .....

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The Clan of the Cave Bear was written and designed entirely as a politically correct book. The movie was ridiculous.

Daryl Hanna as our heroine ? Give me a break ! She certainly looked more like this.
Yes, I saw the film, it was rubbish, they should have stuck to the book. The book is much better. Though having said that Ayla, was not a Neanderthal, she was found by them & they brought her up.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

17-04-2020, 01:49 PM

Daryl Hanna as our heroine ? Give me a break ! She certainly looked more like this.
You can have that one, I'll have Daryl .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

17-04-2020, 01:51 PM

You can have that one, I'll have Daryl .....
You missed the point, she could have looked like Daryl, she was not neanderthal.
I think she was Cro magnan. (spelling)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 01:54 PM

Whichever you prefer bakerman.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

17-04-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
You missed the point, she could have looked like Daryl, she was not neanderthal.
Erm, I didn't miss the point .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top