Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Has anybody noticed a very bright star in the sky recently?

For the last few nights I have looked out and seen a very bright light in the sky. It us much bigger than the normal stars and very bright.

I see it when I look to the west, but a few years ago I saw a similar light to the east. I phoned Jodrell to ask what it was and they said it was probably Saturn, so I am assuming this one is also Saturn.....unless one of you can till me something different.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 06:04 PM

Re: Has anybody noticed a very bright star in the sky recently?

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
For the last few nights I have looked out and seen a very bright light in the sky. It us much bigger than the normal stars and very bright.

I see it when I look to the west, but a few years ago I saw a similar light to the east. I phoned Jodrell to ask what it was and they said it was probably Saturn, so I am assuming this one is also Saturn.....unless one of you can till me something different.
Venus?

Venus: The second planet from the sun soars high in the western sky at sunset and remains in view during the first half of the night. It passes dramatically near to the Pleiades on the first few evenings of April; it's a beautiful sight in a pair of binoculars.

On April 10, Venus reaches its greatest celestial latitude north of the ecliptic plane and passes 10 degrees to the upper right of the orange 1st-magnitude star Aldebaran during that week. Although they are widely separated by 7 degrees, the two brightest objects in the night sky — the moon and Venus — still make for an eye-catching sight as they descend side-by-side in the April 26 west-northwest sky. On the next night (April 27), Venus reaches its most dazzling for this current spectacular evening apparition, blazing at an eye-popping magnitude -4.7.

https://www.space.com/33619-visible-planets-guide.html
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Venus?

Venus: The second planet from the sun soars high in the western sky at sunset and remains in view during the first half of the night. It passes dramatically near to the Pleiades on the first few evenings of April; it's a beautiful sight in a pair of binoculars.

On April 10, Venus reaches its greatest celestial latitude north of the ecliptic plane and passes 10 degrees to the upper right of the orange 1st-magnitude star Aldebaran during that week. Although they are widely separated by 7 degrees, the two brightest objects in the night sky — the moon and Venus — still make for an eye-catching sight as they descend side-by-side in the April 26 west-northwest sky. On the next night (April 27), Venus reaches its most dazzling for this current spectacular evening apparition, blazing at an eye-popping magnitude -4.7.

https://www.space.com/33619-visible-planets-guide.html
Thank you so much Caricature. I will try to remember on Sunday and Monday so I can see these beautiful lights.....I just hope the skies are still clear of clouds.
Venus has been beautiful on the last few nights.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 06:48 PM

A good bang on the head and you can see as many stars as you like

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 07:07 PM

Yes, Venus.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 07:15 PM

Thanks Caricature, I'll also be looking out on those nights at the end of the month
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 08:40 PM

Twink isn't it wonderful to stand and stare at the sky . I love it but sadly there is a lot of light pollution where I live . When I stand and stare in awe I think of our ancestors and wonder what they felt and wondered about deeper things. Imagine when the sky was empty and all that was up there were birds and insects , our ancestors could never have imagined the future , just like we cant either .

I'll go out and look tonight . Love it
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 09:43 PM

The sky has never been so clear as it has been for the last few nights. Fewer aircraft and far fewer cars and other vehicles means far less pollution.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 10:25 PM

Just took this picture of Venus tonight, it's the best I could do at short notice.....

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just took this picture of Venus tonight, it's the best I could do at short notice.....

Wow!" It looks like a diamond in the sky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top