Join for free
Reply
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel's Avatar
Artangel
Chatterbox
Artangel is offline
UK
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 17,385
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 08:38 AM
31

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

What a palaver to get a takeaway. I think líd rather starve than travel miles and pay their exorbitant prices.

Spitty, by you coughing up these silly prices, youíre only encouraging them.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is offline
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 6,152
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 10:22 AM
32

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Do you guys not realise the increase in costs these places face? What should they do other than pass the cost on?
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is online now
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 24,845
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 12:49 PM
33

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Todger, its a bit like a Tradesman who would normally install say a shower, under normal circumstances say, the shower cost £100.00 and the labour was a £100.00, then there is a crisis and his potential customer base reduces by 50%, don't give him the right too double the cost price of the shower unit and increase his labour charge to £200.00.
Will you stop using increased material cost as an excuse for food outlets inflating prices to cover the cost of lost business.
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is online now
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 24,845
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 12:56 PM
34

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

The so called 2008 crash had no significant impact on curry and fish and chip costs.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is offline
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 6,152
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 01:08 PM
35

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Todger, its a bit like a Tradesman who would normally install say a shower, under normal circumstances say, the shower cost £100.00 and the labour was a £100.00, then there is a crisis and his potential customer base reduces by 50%, don't give him the right too double the cost price of the shower unit and increase his labour charge to £200.00.
Will you stop using increased material cost as an excuse for food outlets inflating prices to cover the cost of lost business.
Firstly it is entirely reasonable for the plumber to hike his charges especially when the price of the shower also increases. He has to charge at a rate that will allow him to earn a wage from his business in view of the market he has to sell into.

Secondly the cost of materials for the takeaway joints has to be paid for along with the other costs involved in providing delivery services not least staff.

The third point is that costs and prices are going to have to increase in the coming months because of our standard of living having to fall and trust me, it's going to go through the floor.

Especially as taxes rise, austerity as has not been seen for many decades kicks in, and benefits evaporate.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is offline
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 6,152
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 01:10 PM
36

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The so called 2008 crash had no significant impact on curry and fish and chip costs.
The 2008 financial debacle is not in the least bit comparable to what is taking place.
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is online now
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 24,845
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 02:05 PM
37

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Ok, lets try from this angle, in my metaphor, the cost of the shower had not increased, it had been loaded to compensate for the loss of business from every second customer, and pricing, we were led to believe that the advertised price on a shop shelf was the price to be paid, even if the price, by accident was marked incorrectly, well, back to food, I don't care if the price of a curry rises to say £20.00, I won't buy one, but I want to see any advertising literature CORRECTLY price structured for that moment in time. Technically, I should be able to take the most recent price list, and, demand it is supplied at that price.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
The Artful Todger is offline
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 6,152
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 03:07 PM
38

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Ok, lets try from this angle, in my metaphor, the cost of the shower had not increased, it had been loaded to compensate for the loss of business from every second customer, and pricing, we were led to believe that the advertised price on a shop shelf was the price to be paid, even if the price, by accident was marked incorrectly, well, back to food, I don't care if the price of a curry rises to say £20.00, I won't buy one, but I want to see any advertising literature CORRECTLY price structured for that moment in time. Technically, I should be able to take the most recent price list, and, demand it is supplied at that price.
Legally the seller is under no obligation to sell you anything irrespectively of how it is priced. That's covered in the UK sale of goods act.
Reply With Quote
Artangel's Avatar
Artangel
Chatterbox
Artangel is offline
UK
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 17,385
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 04:02 PM
39

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Do you guys not realise the increase in costs these places face? What should they do other than pass the cost on?

Oh you mean like they return the favour and reduce their prices when supplies and fuel costs go down?

Have you ever known a chip shop to reduce their price of chips when the price of potatoes go down? I donít!
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is online now
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 24,845
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
23-05-2020, 04:57 PM
40

Re: Capitalizing on the situation

Todger is confusing Market Forces with plain old Profiteering.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.