Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 03:55 PM

Re: Anyone know what these are?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Thanks LongDriver, I suppose they deter nesting so the woods can be cleared with minimal disruption to bird life.
It'll be interesting to see if they follow the law in that case,its illegal to disturb nesting birds.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 10:19 PM

After photographing close up this morning, I thought I would go back and photo the desolation in the woods where I would walk our dog. When I went back an hour or so later, there were contractors everywhere, will try again tomorrow.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 10:52 PM

Just been down to the Woods ST, and took this close up of one of the buggers spinning round, I did not photo the fact that a huge section of the Wood has been flattened, you may be right!

Quite clearly, it's an alien.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2020, 11:08 PM

Thanks LongDriver, I suppose they deter nesting so the woods can be cleared with minimal disruption to bird life.

Yes, that makes sense Spitty, as others have said, workmen are not allowed to disturb nesting sites by law, so I bet they are scaring wildlife away to discourage them coming to the area so it doesn't hold up work.
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

12-05-2020, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
They look sinister!
We only have faerie folk in our woods around here! You can see them clearly on moonlit nights after several pints of zider!
If your faerie folk ever need to relocate, you let them know I have 8 acres of woods they can freely inhabit without worry.

They can keep company with the rest of the wildlife I have without having to worry about extermination. I haven't had any new trespassing incursions for a while now since I snuck up on the last set of poachers a few years back and unloaded that shotgun into the air behind them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, that makes sense Spitty, as others have said, workmen are not allowed to disturb nesting sites by law, so I bet they are scaring wildlife away to discourage them coming to the area so it doesn't hold up work.

Last year there were other, similar tactics employed by developers at a housing development site in Guildford to prevent birds from nesting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-47537122

Information on the use of netting in this way has been put out by the RSPB, see link below:

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rsp...se-of-netting/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top