Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Coronavirus: How to make your own face mask

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52609777

Example:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-face-covering

Example:

Has anyone created one of these or similar? Were they wearable?

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 01:46 PM

Re: Coronavirus: How to make your own face mask

I mentioned recently that Mrs mart has made quite a few masks that have been well received. The downloadable pattern can be found at eatpraycreate.com

She's on her 15th one now. She has made me one but I haven't worn it yet because I haven't been anywhere. The time might come though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 01:52 PM

I made a face mask the other day with 2 layers of cotton fabric outside and 4 of butter muslin inside. I will make another later today..
My DIL sent the pattern, she has made 11 so far for friends and family ...

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-ma...e-mask-pattern

This is the one I made ....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	megs mask.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	12589  
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I mentioned recently that Mrs mart has made quite a few masks that have been well received. The downloadable pattern can be found at eatpraycreate.com

She's on her 15th one now. She has made me one but I haven't worn it yet because I haven't been anywhere. The time might come though.
Many thanks .....

I've noted that one for later, once I've got past the bandanna/T-shirt stage and acquired some sewing skill .....

The time came for me yesterday when I visited the GP's surgery - I had to wear a face covering, preferably a mask, but otherwise a scarf - I wore a scarf but it was far from ideal, so I've ordered some medical masks but I thought I'd create some temporary ones while awaiting delivery.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-05-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I made a face mask the other day with 2 layers of cotton fabric outside and 4 of butter muslin inside. I will make another later today..
My DIL sent the pattern, she has made 11 so far for friends and family ...

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-ma...e-mask-pattern

This is the one I made ....
Excellent ..... a real pro job .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 02:10 PM

I think a problem comes for those who wear glasses. If the masks don't seal around the nose very well, glasses can steam up. The recommendation with the ones Mrs mart made was to sew some soft-covered garden wire into the top seam of the mask so it could be moulded around the nose and stay that way.

I just happened to have some rubber-covered garden wire that was suitable for the job.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-05-2020, 02:28 PM

I think a problem comes for those who wear glasses. If the masks don't seal around the nose very well, glasses can steam up. The recommendation with the ones Mrs mart made was to sew some soft-covered garden wire into the top seam of the mask so it could be moulded around the nose and stay that way.

I just happened to have some rubber-covered garden wire that was suitable for the job.
Good tip .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 02:38 PM

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 02:46 PM

I've made lots like Meg's. Mine are reversible, just used different cotton fabric on each side. Just for family and friends.
They can be washed in hot soapy water and a hot iron used to kill any germs (hopefully)

I've used up lots of fat quarter scraps, I knew they come in handy one day!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 02:48 PM

That's exactly what we found when we wore our pharmacy bought masks last week. We just put up with it while in the supermarket but took them off as soon as we were back outside and away from other peeps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top