Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 01:25 PM

Re: Why does the government keep using word Advice instead of issuing Demands?

The chap doing the King's app said that they estimate that 2.5m to 3m people have had the virus. Of those the majority are in their 20s to 30s. Very few elderly have had it due to social distancing. So until there is a vaccine or treatment the future for the elderly will be complex.

In terms of communication, I've noticed they are very careful with the use of language. They want to make people feel they are responsible for their actions and to listen and make the right choices rather than obey rules. It does however, at times come across as insincere.

If there is a second wave they will doubtless create new legislation but I think the aim is to slowly infect the healthy while keeping the elderly safe. If the majority of the young and healthy have immunity then the elderly should be able to resume a normal life.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The chap doing the King's app said that they estimate that 2.5m to 3m people have had the virus. Of those the majority are in their 20s to 30s. Very few elderly have had it due to social distancing. So until there is a vaccine or treatment the future for the elderly will be complex.

In terms of communication, I've noticed they are very careful with the use of language. They want to make people feel they are responsible for their actions and to listen and make the right choices rather than obey rules. It does however, at times come across as insincere.

If there is a second wave they will doubtless create new legislation but I think the aim is to slowly infect the healthy while keeping the elderly safe. If the majority of the young and healthy have immunity then the elderly should be able to resume a normal life.

Well that's what I think also Annie.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

Well that's what I think also Annie.
It will take a long time to get to that point OGF. Let's hope the "warp speed" vaccine research yields results.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It will take a long time to get to that point OGF. Let's hope the "warp speed" vaccine research yields results.
I'll not be having no vaccine Annie, sooner take my chances with covid...Natural immunity...
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 03:29 PM

From what have read no coronavirus vaccine has ever been developed and post recovery immunity to this monster is short lived. All we can hope for is it's mutation to a form that can not infect survivors.

Check this out. https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...s-covid-2020-4
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
From what have read no coronavirus vaccine has ever been developed and post recovery immunity to this monster is short lived. All we can hope for is it's mutation to a form that can not infect survivors.

Check this out. https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...s-covid-2020-4
We don't know that yet. It's still at the guestimating stage.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We don't know that yet. It's still at the guestimating stage.
The fact that there has thus far never been a useable vaccine for any of this class of virus does not bode well.

In the case of aquired immunity evidence based on observations does not show that is a probability.

This is increasingly looking worse than feared.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 04:03 PM

I don’t know infections in London have dropped .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'll not be having no vaccine Annie, sooner take my chances with covid...Natural immunity...
Me neither.
All this quarantine means we're not building immunity to anything. These people that disinfect everything and never catch anything go down like a ton of bricks when they do.

I was watching a programme about Ebola, thank heavens that didn't get here! I think it was called The Virus Trackers, interesting. Worth watching to understand how viruses mutate and how they need a host

The young and healthy may not get Covid19 but they can still carry it and pass it on.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2020, 05:50 PM

The reason i say the government should be putting out demands rather than advice is based on the very controversial issue of smoking. For decades it has always been the advice that smokers should respect those who do not smoke, do not like the smell of cigarette smoke or children who have no say in the matter, to not smoke around them or near them but for decades large groups of smokers have ignored that advice and decided to do as they wish.

Come many years latter the issue of smokers affecting the health of others came to a head when smoking was banned in public places and smokers were banned from smoking in cars when in the presence of small children. There was long standing advice that got ignored until it got to the point where the government had to step in and issue demands. Those demands were backed up by legislation. Now I feel the same should be done with the lockdown and social distancing because the governments 'advice' is being ignored and as a result people's lives are being put at risk, just like it was with the issues regarding smoking.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top