Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:48 PM

Re: Your conscience

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I can tell you a story of manybyears ago. I used to work for a newspaper and next door the the offices was another firm I forget what they did or what it was called but the big doors were always open, . One day at lunchtime I came out of our building and was walking past next door firm when I spotted on the floor a brown wage envelope. I picked it up and saw it was a wage packet from the company next door so I went inside and told them I had found a wage packet which was unopened, there were 4 young men and they all cracked up laughing. I sad what you laughing at and one of them said, it was a trap we were having a laugh to see how many honest people there are, well done you passed them test!

I went bright red although I don t know why. It was a good thing I did.

My mother always told me honesty is the best , it means we can sleep in our beds on a night and I have to agree.

I wouldnt ever want to steal anything, its just not me, I would like to think had I lost a wage packet purse or anything that someone would hand it in.

Do unto others as you would have them do to you i think the saying goes
Good post.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:56 PM

If it was outdoors I would hand it in to the police but if I found it on the floor in a shop I would hand it to the shopkeeper hoping he would be honest enough to hand it to the owner if they came in the shop asking if an envelope had been found.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
See you down the pub.

Hell yes Half pints of lager all around
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 05:58 PM

One Sunday, about 25 years ago, coming back from walking my dog I saw a council rent book on the pavement, with some money inside, I forget how much, but it was a couple of hundred.

There was a post office attached to a news agent, and although the post office was closed the news agent was open, so I dropped the book in to them, in those days the rent could be paid at the post office counter, so I thought that would be safe.

There was a name on the book, and I felt worried that the owner would be panicking, so I looked him up in the phonebook, (remember them?), found his listing, and rang him to tell him I found his rent book with the money and dropped it into the newsagent. He was very annoyed with me, why hadn't I brought it round to his house he said, it was very inconsiderate of me.
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maver-rik ->
One Sunday, about 25 years ago, coming back from walking my dog I saw a council rent book on the pavement, with some money inside, I forget how much, but it was a couple of hundred.

There was a post office attached to a news agent, and although the post office was closed the news agent was open, so I dropped the book in to them, in those days the rent could be paid at the post office counter, so I thought that would be safe.

There was a name on the book, and I felt worried that the owner would be panicking, so I looked him up in the phonebook, (remember them?), found his listing, and rang him to tell him I found his rent book with the money and dropped it into the newsagent. He was very annoyed with me, why hadn't I brought it round to his house he said, it was very inconsiderate of me.

What a cheek, he should have been very grateful!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 06:47 PM

As a young mum I was very very short of money , i lost £5 which was to buy food for my small child and i was devastated (50 years ago ) i had no one to turn to for help it was awful . I vowed I would never ever keep money I found because I know how it feels . I would take it to the police station without doubt
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
As a young mum I was very very short of money , i lost £5 which was to buy food for my small child and i was devastated (50 years ago ) i had no one to turn to for help it was awful . I vowed I would never ever keep money I found because I know how it feels . I would take it to the police station without doubt
But had you immediately found another £5 or £10 would you have handed it in?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
But had you immediately found another £5 or £10 would you have handed it in?

Never thought of that Vlad , I was desperate at the time and that is difficult to answer and an interesting question . Probably at that awful time I would have used it to buy food .

Interesting
Vlad
West Midlands UK

14-04-2021, 07:04 PM

Yes, there is your conscience telling you one thing and necessity another ...
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2021, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If you found an envelope when you were out, and it had £100 in it, what would you do?

Would you take it home and keep it?

Hand it in to the Cops?

Give it someone in need?

Treat yourself?

Or anything else . . .
Hand it in!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top