Join for free
Page 51 of 79 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 08:30 AM

Re: Murder by Police - George Floyd

The fact is Bristols prosperity was based on trade of all sorts not just the slave trade but it was a large part .but what to do can’t tear down the whole town who would it benefit ?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Colston was not being admired and praised for his slave trade activity, he was being honoured for his generosity and love of the residents of Bristol, and to show their appreciation they raised a statue in his honour.

If you challenge where his money came from, you will open a whole new can of worms. Even to this present day....
Ah, I get it. You are saying, in effect, "Let's pretend that the buying and selling of tens of thousands of human beings should be ignored."
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 09:41 AM

Colston was not being admired and praised for his slave trade activity, he was being honoured for his generosity and love of the residents of Bristol, and to show their appreciation they raised a statue in his honour.

If you challenge where his money came from, you will open a whole new can of worms. Even to this present day....
Correct, Bob.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ah, I get it. You are saying, in effect, "Let's pretend that the buying and selling of tens of thousands of human beings should be ignored."
I'm saying that Colston wasn't doing anything illegal back then....And how do you know that he wasn't sympathetic to the slaves plight and treated them well.

Technically we are all slaves to somebody at some time in our lives. Should I tear down a statue of George Gravil; A local industrialist who gave me a job as an apprentice engineer when I left school, he paid me peanuts, and made my life a misery for seven years...

You quoted earlier about Adolf Hitler not having a statue erected in his honour; He did some remarkable things during his tenure, but he also committed genocide and that is unforgivable. To compare the two is simply despicable. Slaves were not deliberately murdered in an attempt to cleanse the world of a particular race of people. Your logic beggars belief bakerman....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:02 AM

Ok we have all got our threads a bit mixed up .
There is one on Statues
One on Edward Colston
and this one is Murder by Police .

Mods help!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Ok we have all got our threads a bit mixed up .
There is one on Statues
One on Edward Colston
and this one is Murder by Police .
Yes, sorry Muddy......
It's very difficult not to respond to a provocative post....

This whole issue should never have come to these shores. It's about police brutality in America. Our police, in the main do a sterling job under difficult and underfunded conditions, and apart from perhaps London with it's gang culture, black people enjoy the same benefits and privileges as do the rest of the population. Thanks to the media and internet this has been a well orchestrated attempt to upset the status quo and destabilise countries outside America. Only a fool can not see how we are being manipulated and forced to take sides between black and white, and it appears the young have taken the bait hook line and sinker, perhaps when they become responsible adults with children, a house and mortgage and not be led by some left wing university lecturer their priorities will change.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:08 AM

God forbid, even royalty could become embroiled??( TIC warning!)

Donkeyman! 👍😇👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DanceSuzy ->
What are various statues? Like random statues? Random statues are not the concern. The statues that need to be removed are confederate war memorials. Do they have Nazi war memorials in Germany honoring those who served for Hitler? I really don't know the answer to that question but it seems like a parallel example to me. The issue is removing statues that honor those who fought for slavery which was abolished. We can not glorify those who fought to deny the rights of others based on their non whiteness. This is my first post. I am hoping this site is cool with polite adult discussion. I just got bullied off of FB for expressing my opinion.
Welcome Suzy!
Dont worry we have two super efficient moderators on OFF!!

Donkeyman! 👍😇👍
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

11-06-2020, 10:43 AM

As this thread has been identified as murder by police l supposse
it is ok to mention the police's victim? George Floyd, now known
as St, George particularly in america where he was given what
amounted to a state funeral, complete with professional mourners
and national tv coverage etc!
Speakers spoke extolling his virtue and decentness?
Now the same media that promoted him to Sainthood has gone
into reverse and is now revealing what a vile person he actually
was!! I wont relate hs deeds here as it would take too long?
But l think what has happened illustrates what a sanctimonius
lot the americans appear to be?
St George is dead, long live St George!!

Donkeyman! 👍😇👎
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2020, 10:48 AM

Without reading back on every single post, I don't think it has mentioned that two of the four cops involved in Floyd's death were apparently non-white also?
A Mr. Kueng and another called Tou Thao.
So I can't helo but wonder which side they are supporting in all this.

Page 51 of 79 « First < 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top