Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Re: Britain Green By 2030

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We import pollution because of our entitlement culture. That entitlement = our lifestyle taking for granted where everything we buy is manufactured or where inputs are sourced. So we are all the "snowflakes". The supply chains feeding into our country (and others like us) are destroying the planet.
I'm not a snowflake.

I quite enjoyed destroying the planet when I drove around in my diesel car.
Strangely enough, whenever I went out in it the sky never fell down.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Not if we're paid for it .... developing & exporting environmentally friendly technologies.

I'm all for doing our bit saving the planet, but until the major world polluters start to see the light we are merely p*****g in the wind. Regarding exporting the tech and creating a few jobs then I'm also for that too, but to see the rest of our country hamstrung by the "green revolution" as a price for that, merely for political grandstanding, I would argue that that is not much of a deal!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Seems the UK produces 1% of the problem yet is trying to shoulder 90% of the solution, completely bonkers if you ask me.
Spot on Barry....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We import pollution because of our entitlement culture. That entitlement = our lifestyle taking for granted where everything we buy is manufactured or where inputs are sourced. So we are all the "snowflakes". The supply chains feeding into our country (and others like us) are destroying the planet.
Not destroying it Annie, but perhaps just making it more uncomfortable for us wusses in the developed world.
Nature has a way of correcting things though.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-12-2020, 01:03 PM

I'm all for doing our bit saving the planet, but until the major world polluters start to see the light we are merely p*****g in the wind. Regarding exporting the tech and creating a few jobs then I'm also for that too, but to see the rest of our country hamstrung by the "green revolution" as a price for that, merely for political grandstanding, I would argue that that is not much of a deal!
Yes you're right Barry, the few jobs that will be produced by the green revolution will not offset the amount of jobs lost.
Not to mention the amount of poverty created in the people who cannot afford to keep up with the latest technology.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 01:37 PM

Hi

The British disease.

We are a minor player in the World now.

We should accept that and spend our money on looking after our own.

We have spent a fortune on two aircraft carriers which will last less than an hour if push comes to shove.

A pure vanity project.

Money which would have been much better spent on a fleet of inshore ships stopping the illegals coming here and protecting our Fisheries.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The British disease.

We have spent a fortune on two aircraft carriers which will last less than an hour if push comes to shove.

A pure vanity project.

Money which would have been much better spent on a fleet of inshore ships stopping the illegals coming here and protecting our Fisheries.
Well said Swims. 👍
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The British disease.

A pure vanity project.

Exactly.

Aircraft carriers' sole purpose is power projection away from our shores. The Falklands war was a prime example of when they were really needed (just before our government scrapped them!), but such a situation is unlikely to happen again now that we have based a sufficiently strong air and land component on those islands for their effective defence. Other overseas territories are either a lot closer (eg, Gibraltar) or highly unlikely to be attacked by a foreign power.

All we need now is an efficient and effective force to protect our homeland and, of course, its waters. Aircraft carriers are surplus to requirements. The RAF is capable of home defence if push comes to shove and can be an effective force to any distance necessary for our own defence. The Army, having now been decimated, is probably still sufficient to defend us against any attack on our shores.

We must accept that we are no longer a world power capable of extending our assets to far-flung places. The defence of our island is all we should concern ourselves with now. As long as we have the means to do that effectively, we need fear no enemy incursion including into our legal sea territories. As you say, we need to ensure an effective force of ships to defend our North Sea area.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Nature has a way of correcting things though.
Like getting rid of humans by making the planet inhospitable for us?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In other words, inconveniencing ourselves at great expense is going to make a negligible effect on the planet as a whole, but on the other hand will make PC snowflakes feel much happier with themselves.
Seems the UK produces 1% of the problem yet is trying to shoulder 90% of the solution, completely bonkers if you ask me.
Absolutely spot on both of you.

I was talking to an ex-Toyota salesman this morning about "going electric" and he told me that Toyota, Birmingham has 2 cars in at the moment because the battery packs have failed. (The cars are about 4yrs old.) The cost of replacing the packs are far more than the cars are worth so, the insurance companies have written them off.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top