Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 10:44 AM

10 Year Old Power Station Now Worth Nothing

How times are changing in the Power Industry.

The owners of Australia's newest coal-fired power station have written down the value of the asset to zero, wiping out a $1.2 billion investment in the face of an onslaught of renewable energy.

In what a financial market analyst said was a "classic example" of changes predicted in the energy industry, Japanese conglomerate Sumitomo has written off its $250 million equity stake in the Bluewaters power plant in Western Australia's south-west.

The decision was booked in Sumitomo's September accounts, in which the company acknowledged the facility was worthless despite being barely 10 years old.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 12:13 PM

Re: 10 Year Old Power Station Now Worth Nothing

China are still building coal-fired power stations, so that does not bode well for the world's lungs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
How times are changing in the Power Industry.

The owners of Australia's newest coal-fired power station have written down the value of the asset to zero, wiping out a $1.2 billion investment in the face of an onslaught of renewable energy.

In what a financial market analyst said was a "classic example" of changes predicted in the energy industry, Japanese conglomerate Sumitomo has written off its $250 million equity stake in the Bluewaters power plant in Western Australia's south-west.

The decision was booked in Sumitomo's September accounts, in which the company acknowledged the facility was worthless despite being barely 10 years old.
I don't know about Australia Bruce, but with all this fuss going on in the UK about electric vehicles by 2030 and switching from gas central heating to electricity, there is going to be one hell of a lot of waste here too. And I can't imagine where all the extra electricity needed is coming from. Each house will have to upgrade their electrical systems, and substations are also going to need upgrading. I'm getting ready for the massive roadworks that will be coming our way in the future for all the extra cable.
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 02:33 PM

I can't see it happening in the timeframe available. Add to that what about terraced houses and flats - wher can those living in such properties charge their vehicles? The only way I see it working is if there is a massive switch to simply calling up an autonomous cab when required and giving up on personal ownership of vehicles. That wouldn't be good news for car manufacturers for sure.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2021, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by digitalham ->
I can't see it happening in the timeframe available. Add to that what about terraced houses and flats - wher can those living in such properties charge their vehicles? The only way I see it working is if there is a massive switch to simply calling up an autonomous cab when required and giving up on personal ownership of vehicles. That wouldn't be good news for car manufacturers for sure.
I too cannot see real change happening in the short timeframe suggested.

Regarding where those living in flats, terraced houses etc. would charge their cars the answer is perhaps quite simple: at the place they currently park their vehicles (no pun intended).
If they have a vehicle they must park it somewhere, so place charging equipment where the car is parked.
That shouldn't be too difficult to arrange, and in such a way that any billing is appropriate too.
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I too cannot see real change happening in the short timeframe suggested.

Regarding where those living in flats, terraced houses etc. would charge their cars the answer is perhaps quite simple: at the place they currently park their vehicles (no pun intended).
If they have a vehicle they must park it somewhere, so place charging equipment where the car is parked.
That shouldn't be too difficult to arrange, and in such a way that any billing is appropriate too.
There is no reserved parking space for a terraced house so you can't install your own and I see no chance of there being a commercial charge point outside every terraced house or every parking spot in a building communal car park.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top