Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 03:55 PM

Re: Nra

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
No amount of bleating we do will not change the fact that America does not have a civilised society.

The gun problem in America is an American problem and should be sorted out by Americans.
An abundance of firearms and a fervent belief on their god are not good bedfellows.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
An abundance of firearms and a fervent belief on their god are not good bedfellows.
Absolutely.
I am minded of the american man who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given three months to live.

He immediately went home, got his gun from the gun cabinet and shot his neighbour's sixteen year old son dead because he had been plagued by him for the last couple of years.

When the Police turned up he said,"So lock me up for life, you've got three months".
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 10:07 PM

https://www.newsmax.com/us/nra-oklah...02/id/1012138/

The American tragedy continues with the power of NRA.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 11:35 PM

Just let them get on with it.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
Wave a gun around in this country and you will get dead very quickly and that is how it should be in a civilised society.

No amount of bleating we do will not change the fact that America does not have a civilised society.

The gun problem in America is an American problem and should be sorted out by Americans.
It's more than an American problem when many of the movies, shown on our Screens, these days, show so many guns & shootings to make our youngsters think it's the normal!
PooBear
United Kingdom

10-03-2021, 12:56 PM

You just have to tell the youngsters that America is a dangerous place to visit as normal countries don't have the free use of guns.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 01:43 PM

I have spent a lot of time in the USA, and had several debates on many issues including gun ownership.

The one thing everyone I spoke to agreed on is that we Brits could not understand why so many Yanks wanted to own guns, and the Yanks couldn't understand why so many Brits didn't want to own them.

I did go shooting at a gun range in the USA a couple of times, and enjoyed it, but the monitoring and control was much more lax than when I have shot on gun ranges in the UK.

When asked why my American colleagues felt they needed the right to own a gun, they all said, for protection. My response was, why do criminals and murderers need the right to own a gun then?
They said, people kill people, not guns. My response was, so why give guns to people then?

I heard horror stories where some US gun owners kept a gun in a bedside drawer, or in a shoe box on top of a wardrobe. Their kids found them and used them because they had been left loaded.

I am a former UK (shot)gun owner. I got rid of them and handed in my licence when we had kids.

The application and vetting process was long and involved, even before gun safes became mandatory.
My guns were always locked up unless I was using them, and I always kept the ammunition locked up elsewhere.

The British Army taught my Dad gun safety and how to shoot. He taught my brother and me gun safety and how to shoot.
We weren't allowed to fire a gun until we could demonstrate we knew how to prove a gun (prove it is not loaded) each and every time we picked one up.
Even if you have just proved it and put it down; even if you have proved it, handed it to someone who you have seen prove it and handed it back, you assume a gun is loaded, until you have proved to yourself that it is not loaded, then handle it as if it is.

Then we had to learn how to load and unload safely without the gun going off, and how to hold and carry it without it going off.
We learned field craft. Always walk with the gun "broken" or bolt open, AND the safety catch on. Always check what was behind the target before you fired.

The most important thing we learned was, never point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot them, and never shoot unless you intend to kill.

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of private gun ownership, it is my opinion that vetting of gun owners and safety training first is the most important way to reduce gun deaths, gun woundings, and gun accidents.
I believe gun safes should be mandatory before anyone is allowed to own a gun. Ideally one with a thumb-print lock, and the gun should always be left unladed, even if a loaded revolver cylinder or semi-auto magazine is kept in the same place.
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would demand the right to own a working machine gun at home unless they have a fully licenced and approved gun range. I really cannot understand why anyone would demand the right to have a machine gun or self loading rifle upon their person in an open-carry state.

I have heard of assault rifles, but I have yet to hear of something called a defence rifle.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 01:49 PM

It's old but very true. Guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 01:53 PM

Quite a few gun owners in this area, walking on the common have passed a few, so thankful they were holding the thing in the correct manner you describe.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's old but very true. Guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people.
Exactly. And what better reason than that could you have for not letting them have guns?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top